26. dinner

Max POV

"Dad?" I asked confused.
"Hello Maxine, long time no see," He said and I nodded.

I walked into the house, pushed him out of the way and ran upstairs to my room. Imogen followed me.

I sat on my bed with my feet up. Why was he here? On my birthday? Why had this been planned?

"Maxy," I heard Imogen say. I led on her and started crying into her shoulder.

"Hey It's ok, It's ok, I've got you darling," Imogen said hugging me close to her body.
"Did you know?" I asked.
"No," Imogen said and I nodded.

I heard a knock on my door and lifted my head up. It was Tori Spring.
"I told them it wasn't a good idea," She said.
"Hi Tori," I said.
"Look, if either your dad or your brother-"
"My brothers here?" I groaned.
"Yes, unfortunately. But if they give you or Nick any shit, I'll make them pay," She said and I smiled.
"Thanks Tori," I said.

She left to go back downstairs.

I went to the bathroom and washed my face. I felt a bit fresher and so then I decided to make an appearance downstairs. Imogen stood by me and she also sat next to me at the dinner table.

My mum had put the food in the middle. David and Tori were opposite us. The rest of them were sat around the table.

I started to eat my food when my dad turned to me.
"Maxine, don't slouch,"
"I'm not,"
"c'mon, up up you're going to get a back hunch and then no guy will date you,"

"not a problem then," I muttered and Imogen laughed. Tori, Nick and Charlie smiled. They had clearly heard what i'd said.
"Well, father it won't be a problem as Max is a lesbia- Owwwww!" David said and then screamed.

"Victoria Spring!" Charlie's mum shouted.

Tori had dug her nails into David's arm.
"What we're you trying to say David?" My dad asked.
"Don't you fucking dare!" I said staring at David.
"Language Maxine!" My dad said.

I rolled my eyes.
"God, get some manners Maxine," My dad scoffed.
"Get some manners! I have manners thank you very much! And maybe there not up to your standards but maybe they would be if you'd stayed!" I said.

He stayed silent.

"Yeah, well I know why you left! It's because you didn't want a girl." I said.

He stayed silent.
"god your speechless because you know i'm right. I was a disappointment to you the second I was born. So let me disappoint you even more. David's right, I am a lesbian and Imogen right here is my girlfriend," I said.

The whole table was silent.
"See, told you I was right!" David said breaking the silence.
"Shut up twatface," I said and got up and walked away.

I led on my bed staring at my flag.

I heard my door knock.
"Come in," I muttered.

It was Nick.
"So, I told him I was bi," he said and I sat up. Nick sat on my bed.

He led on my shoulder.
"How bad was it?" I asked.
"Well, dad looked at me funny. I believe he said you too and then I left," Nick said. I hugged him close into my shoulder.
"It's been a good birth day not a good birth night," I said and Nick laughed softly.
"You never don't make me laugh," he said.
"He i guess not," and he smiled.

I stood up.
"We should probably go and apologise," I told Nick.
"I guess so," He said and then I heard my door knock.

I opened it. It was mum.
"I guessed you'd both be in here," She said.
"I'm sorry," I muttered.
"No don't be, It's David's fault for bringing it up anyways," My mum said. "If anything, I'm proud of both of you," she said.

We all hugged and we went downstairs. It was a weird feeling but I went and sat down next to Imogen. I didn't eat a thing. I just sat facing the floor.

Our dessert came and I ate it quietly. Our parents were talking but all the kids were quiet.

After food, Dad wanted to talk to us.

"You've not turned into the young adults I thought you would," He said.
"Well maybe if you'd stayed around we would've," I said.
"Max," Nick whispered.
"It's fine, I deserve that," He said.
"We have changed, and yes even though we like the same gender, we're still your children," Nick said.
"Yes, that you are, and I will always love you, Even if I don't show it," He said.

We all smiled.

"Well, au revour Nick and Max,"
"Au revour dad," We both said and then he left.

David and Charlie's family were leaving, except Charlie, they were having a sleepover.

I heard Tori threatening David upstairs and I laughed. He left soon after.

It was now Imogen, Me, Nick and Charlie. We we're sat together on either sides of the table just talking and then my mum turned the lights off and she stopped.

"Happy Birthday to you," My mum started singing.

Happy Birthday Nick and Max,

Happy Birthday to you," Imogen, Charlie and my mum continued.

There was a cake on the table. It was covered in white frosting and had on one side Harry Styles and decorations around him. I couldn't see what was on the other. On top of the cake, there were a load of marvel characters on the top with 'Happy birthday Nick and Max' on the top.

We both blew out the candles and then my mum put the lights on.
"Red velvet or Chocolate?" She asked.
"Chocolate. always," I said.
"Red velvet," Nick said.

Then my mum handed us a knife. I cut through Harry's head :( and I found it was chocolate.

Nicks side was red velvet.

We looked at my mum surprised.

We all ate the cake and then my mum gave us all hot chocolate.
"I love how Nick had rugby and you had Harry Styles," Said Charlie.
"Haha yeah, well those are our interests," Nick said and I laughed.
"Polar opposites I said,"
"Yes, Polar opposites," He agreed.

We all sat around and chatted. This had been one crazy birthday, but I loved it and it was definitely one to remember.