EIGHT

Jazmine's POV

I closed the door behind me immediately spotting her a few steps away from where I was currently standing, as I returned my phone to its resting place in my pocket.

A small grin acquainted itself with my lips as I walked over to the table she was seated at while taking my time to appreciate the beauty she carried seemingly without much effort offered.

"I'm surprised you asked me out" I stated as she motioned for me to sit and I complied doing just that leaving my body to face her.

"Why are you surprised?" She asked, smiling as the waiter placed a cup of coffee on the table between us.

"Thank you," Brittany spoke, sending a genuine smile his way as he left.

"I don't know," I voiced responding to her previous question as the sound of chatter continued to echo around the area.

"You don't know?" She asked, clearly hoping for more and I sighed leaning back in the chair.

"I mean you haven't really been consistent," I pointed out and she nodded, biting back a smile.

"Do you want to order something to drink?" She asked and I allowed a breathy laugh to escape since I knew this was her way of deflecting the seriousness and emotions my statement would prompt.

"I don't drink coffee" I confided watching as she lifted her own cup taking a small sip.

"So why did you agree to meet here?" She questioned, laughing slightly.

"Because I wanted to see you, and since you're on your lunch break I assumed you needed the caffeine" I explained and she smiled getting ready to reply but her phone interjected with its own verbal assault.

"Do you mind?"

"No, go ahead it's fine," I assured her as I sat there patiently watching her answer the call.

My orbs wrapped the image of her in my mind as I stared in wonder at the woman who forced my body to happily welcome a feeling of deep-rooted attraction.

It was almost fascinating by how intrigued and compelled I was by her very essence, and as she ended the call I wanted nothing more but to drown in the now since her interest in me seemed unpredictable.

"I'm sorry but I have to leave, that was work," She expressed and I nodded, hiding the small hint of disappointment that had begun arriving in me at the news.

"It's completely fine," I voiced understanding completely.

"Are you sure?" She asked, looking into my eyes as if searching for something.

"Yeah I'm sure, why don't I walk you back?" I offered and she nodded, getting up as I did the same getting ready to pay for her coffee.

"I'll pay," She said, resulting in my hand retreating from my jacket pocket.

"You sure?"

"Yes Jazmine," She expressed, smiling as she placed the total on the table before grabbing her coffee.

"Do you wanna get the door too?" I teased as we began making our way to the exit and she rolled her eyes playfully doing just that.

"Thank you," I announced as we stepped outside walking side by side.

"How long have you been working at the hospital?" I asked her curiously since my brother was trying to convince me to buy the place to stop it from closing.

"A few weeks, I got transferred recently," She answered and I nodded, my hands diving into my pockets as we continued our journey back to her workplace.

"Do you enjoy working there?"

"I do"

"How many patients do yo-"

"Okay, why are you interrogating me Jazmine?" She asked amused and I bit my top lip concealing the smile that desperately wanted to be released.

"I'm just trying to start a conversation" I lied laughing slightly.

"Okay" She replied even though her tone made it clear she didn't believe me.

"So can I start a conversation based on what you do for a living?" She questioned gazing at me as we continued our journey down the sidewalk.

"I work in real estate, but I think I mentioned that before"

"You did" She replied and I removed my left hand from my pocket, placing it at the small of her back as we made our way across the street.

"Okay, Ms Johnson w-"

"Ms Johnson?" I asked as I interrupted her statement taking a liking to the title.

"Are you serious?" She questioned smiling.

"What?" I asked as I removed my telling gaze from her looking before us.

"Nothing" She replied and I chuckled as we stood at the entrance of the hospital.

"You'll call me?"

"I'll call you"

"You promise?" I asked and she laughed slightly.

"I promise"

"Okay"

"Okay" She repeated as she turned around walking away, and I stood there watching as she left.

-