A girl has only so much love to give around

I don't like this chapter but ehh.

"Jake?"

He waves awkwardly and takes a step towards me.

"Hey. Ok. This is weird. I know. I... just... I couldn't just leave you again. I know there's bit of a chance, I'll never be able to go back there but..."

Wait.

WHAT?

"What do you mean you'll never be able to go back?" I ask, taking a step closer to him.

"It's the only rule. Once you step a foot outside without order, you stay outside," He replies, flashing a smile that doesn't reach his eyes.

"Jake... Why?"

"I- if you're gonna fight, I wanna fight with you. Side by side. Like always."

My eyes dart to Azrael and then back at Jake.

I am very aware of everything in the room right now.

Luke, shuffling awkwardly like he would rather be anywhere than here. Ocean looking down at her feet, ankles, shoes. Azrael looking at Jake in a way I don't understand.

Even the tick of the clock beside me, sweat at the back of my neck, a tingle in my fingers.

I nod.

I don't know why.

But something about Jake always, always called to me.

His rigid toughness, his boyish smile. I don't know. I don't know.

I nod again. Faster, surer this time.

Jake's smile reaches his eyes and before I know it, I am wrapped in his arms as Azrael leaves the room.

***

"My dad can't see you, though." I say as he traces his name on my bare back.

"Yeah... Get me a house or something. Close to the palace so I can visit you."

I hum in response, snuggling into the bedsheet.

He kisses my shoulder and the marks he left on my neck.

"By the way... Who was that guy? The brown hair, dark eyes, kinda tall. Shorter than me though."

I don't think Azrael is shorter than Jake. The other way around, maybe.

"Oh... Azrael."

"Right. Right. Who is he? Is he supposed to be allowed in your room?"

I turn around and pull the blanket up to my chest.

"Oh my- Could you stop interrogating me? He's a... friend. And yes. He is."

"Chill, just saying. You almost killed Luke the first time he entered. "

I sigh.

"We're not dating. Never were. I don't know what you're so pressed about. "

"I am not pressed. Just curious. And yeah.. sorry. I've been away for a while. Seriously, sorry if I am being possesive. I don't know. Just wanna feel like your favourite guy again." He runs his fingers through my hair.

I let his hand travel down and then back up.

He cups my chin, "So. Fucking. Sorry," He says between kisses.

I give him a smile as he climbs out of bed and grabs his clothes from the floor.

"Where are you going?" I ask, turning to my side so I can continue looking him.

"Just a walk around the palace. Check out what's changed."

Is that a good idea?

"Be careful. Please."

"Yeah, baby. You can trust me."