The Stygian witch

"The Stygian what now?"

"The Stygian witch. The reason I had to run from the palace. It's... I don't know the whole story but you know that prophecy, right?"

I knew it. I knew I should've been running from my mother. It was all so easy. Her showing up every time I fucked up, her starting the rebellion, her getting me exactly where she wants me.

"I read it. I don't remember it."

"You didn't write it down?" He asks in surprise.

"No. Obviously not. I just forgot it like a cool person. My history nerd probably knows it. But guess what? She's kidnapped."

My mood dampens. I almost forgot about that part.

"Ocean.... That was her name, right?"

I nod, getting up from my chair.

"We're trying to find her. There's so much to figure out. But finding her is my top priority. I need Lucas for the other stuff and Lucas without Ocean is... well, not ideal.

"If it's not clear till now, I don't trust you. You will be with Lucas at all times. Azrael and I will try to figure out what to do about Ocean. And you know what? I don't wanna listen to you about the Stygian witch shit. I'll find Ocean and I'll have her tell me."

Kayan lets out a sigh. "I suppose that's right."

I nod, pushing down the fact that the old Esmeray would've given everything to hug him right now.

He look back at me, half out the door. "I needed a soldier when you needed a father. You exceeded all expectations, I disappointed. For all it's worth, I am sorry."

I don't reply or even look at him when he leaves the room.

"Knock knock."

I blink back tears.

"Come in."

"So...listen. I know this is not the time. But that guy killed my family, Ray. I..I really hope you're not trusting him."

I open my eyes.

"Of course, I am. I just need some information from him. He won't be around much longer, I promise you. You just have to trust me okay?"

"Yeah, I trust you."

"Terrible choice but okay. Sit."

He pulls out a chair.

"We don't have enough time to go around the whole forest in search of Ocean. Nor do we have the manpower because a few people need to stay at HQ at all times. And if somebody could kidnap Ocean from here... they're powerful. We should not search alone either. Luke heard water. But where's water here? "

"Where do we get our water?"

"Rations. From the city."

He bites the inside of his cheek like he always does when he's deep in thought. He does that when he writes too or when he's cleaning up my wounds.

I shake my head. Fuck, I am down bad.

"They didn't call for ransom? I mean...if I wear to kidnap Lucas's obvious crush then I'd be asking a hell lot of money on top of whatever I need from you."

That's the thing that's bugging me too. There should've been a call.

I straighten my back.

"Unless we got it all wrong."

He looks up at me, his eyebrows furrowed together.

"What if whoever did it doesn't want anything from Lucas or me? What is it's Ocean they want?"