Third wheeling in the car

Did we kiss? No. Did we do anything that would rate a movie as adult? No. Does the skin on my inner thigh still burn from his touch, yearning for more? Absolutely yes.

      I shove the thought away, buttoning up my white blazer, pretending that I didn't see Ocean staring before I put it on.

Today, I meet Estra's royals.

I have to make a good impression.

"Estra?" Ocean asks, still staring.

"It's a small kingdom in the south of Queloband. Etrug's sister city. It's not powerful or rich but Etrug is. So...if I can get Estra on board hopefully Etrug will come on board too. Plus, since it's pretty close, it can serve as the headquarters."

"That's really confusing."

I know.

"Do I look good?" I ask her.

"You look amazing. Um...by the way, is Lucas gonna go with you?"

I purse my lips to hide my smile.

My bro's got game.

"Do you not want him to?" I tease.

"Oh, no! Nothing like that. I just...we kinda talked about going to the beach today. And I am just making sure if we're rescheduling or not."

Oh.

"Uh...I am sure he'll just take you later."

"Yeah. I know."

I look in the mirror to give my all white suit one last approving glance.

Someone knocks.

"Come in."

Susan walks in with a tray of pastries and cake.

"Oh my! What's the occasion, Esmeray?"

"Uh...close the door," I say and wait until she does, "I am meeting some royals that can be potential recruits for the rebellion."

"Oh. You're still going to do that."

I choose to ignore the dissapointed undertone of her words.

My mood is still terrible because... Well, betrayal. But atleast I look hot.

"Hello, ladies," Luke steps in.

"Hey," Ocean smiles up at him, "You look great. Love the blue."

Isn't blue Ocean's favourite?

I swear to god, if I didn't know better I'd think they're fucking.

"Thank you. Black and blue, Essie. We'll take on the world."

"Shut up, you annoying litter rat. Bye Ocean."

I grab him by the arm and yank him out the door as he tried to say goodbye to Ocean and stuff cake in his mouth at the same time.

»»----- ♔ -----««

"Where's your boyfriend?" Luke asks once we're seated in the car.

He'll be driving today because I don't trust anyone else. Especially not one of my father's drivers.

"Azrael's not my boyfriend."

"I didn't say a name but okay. Where's your not-boyfriend?"

"He's gone to visit his parents."

That's all the information I have.

I lean my head on the headrest as he starts the car.

I love sitting in the front seat. It's childish, I know but there's something comforting in liking childish stuff.

"How long till we reach?" I ask.

"About five hours."

Holy shit.

"Should we bring Ocean along?" I find myself asking.

"What if things go south? Girl's already been through enough. I don't want to drag her into your dangerous life. It's too late for me but oh well. "

"Oh, shut up. Go ask her."

He sighs but doesn't protest much.

I take out my phone and try to find Azrael's number.

It rings for a minute before he picks up.

"Hey," He breathes out.

"Hi. How's everything going?"

"Terrible. They...nevermind. Aren't you meeting some possible recruits today?"

I laugh a bit.

Rocky relationships with parents is something I am a bit too familiar with.

"Yeah. Wish me luck. They don't really like me."

"It's impossible to not like you. I am sure those people will come to their senses."

I feel my lips tugging into a smile.

"Thanks. I needed that. And to hear your voice."

"Me too, Ray. Me too."

I see Lucas walking towards the car with Ocean right beside him.

"Hey, I gotta go. I'll call you later?" I say.

"Yeah. Good luck and bye."

I say a quick 'bye' before hanging up.

Lucas opens the backseat door for Ocean, waving off the guard.

Then, he gets in the driver's seat and we set off for Estra.

    We drive in absolute silence for about an hour before Ocean tries to make the ride a bit enjoyable.

"Fleur was so nice to give this dress to me," Ocean says, trying to make conversation.

"Yeah. It looks pretty on you," Lucas says.

I just nod in response.

I miss Azrael.

There, I finally admit it.

I know he's just gone for a week or so but I can't help it.

Especially since he's my not-boyfriend.

Lucas and Ocean are talking. She laughs, sometimes. And they both try to include me but I still feel like a third wheel.

I feel my eyes getting droopy and I use my hand to cover a gigantic yawn.

"I am just gonna take quick nap," I announce.

I am not sure how long I've been asleep when Lucas shakes me into consciousness.

"We're here, Essie. Time to knock 'em dead. Not really, though. We actually need them and I don't trust you with the words 'kill' and 'dead'.