twelve. changing lives

ANTEBELLUM: XII

ANTEBELLUM: XII

PETER PARKER

A GENTLE KNOCK ALERTED DR. CONNOR OF MY PRESENCE HIS PALE BLUE EYES MET MY WARM BROWN ONES, I OFFERED HIM A SMILE AND SUBTLE WAVE. Dr. Connor return the smile and wave me over, I pushed open the glass door that leads inside his office. The lab was half empty, and the majority of the cubicles that belonged to each scientist were empty with the exception of a few who seemed to be too engrossed in their work to even notice it was time to leave.

Dr. Connor place the papers he was reading on his desk before extending his hand for a handshake, I immediately reacted and took his palm on mine. "Nice seeing you again, Peter."

I chuckle nervously, his hand falling to his side once again. "Yeah, I would be a fool not to come. My aunt always told me to be polite."

Dr. Connor smiled brighter, "Wise words. Always listen to your folks."

We shared a laugh, my mind taking me to the times when I did the exact opposite of what Dr. Connor just told me. I scratch the back of my neck as I waited for him to gather his things, my eyes venture around his office taking in the many diplomas that hang on the left side of the wall, a bulletin board filled to the brim with pictures and pieces of information along with sticky notes here and there.

"Alright, all set." My eyes meet his, he nods his head at the door. "Follow me, the sooner we figure this out; the sooner we'll save lives."

I follow Dr. Connor further to the east side of the laboratory, when we arrived there I notice it was empty which for a reason made me feel relieved. Dr. Connor moves toward a large desk and places his folder on it before beginning to spread the papers, I approach him while simultaneously taking off my jacket and setting it aside along with my backpack. 

I pushed the bridge of my father's glasses up as I took a cautious look at the old research before me, some were crossed out but what caught my attention was the half-finished formula. I place my finger on it and drag it toward me, my eyebrows knit together as I analyze the paper, the familiar handwriting sparking some sort of excitement as I read it.

Dr. Connor's soft hum stopped as he glances at what had caught my attention, "Your father's making, one of the few things he left behind. All crap but, maybe with your help, we'll stir it in the right direction."