𝟎𝟎𝟐. a hard day's night

'Didn't you also operate on a panda?'

CODE BLUE

CODE BLUE

002. A HARD DAY'S NIGHT

season one, episode one

────────

JOANNA ARRIVED AT THE HOSPITAL NEARLY TREMBLING WITH ANXIETY. The car ride with Christopher, Emily, and Derek was silent, and ever since they slept together the pair made a non-spoken pact to never talk about it again. It was a one-time thing that happened while they were drunk. It didn't change how they felt about each other, and it definitely didn't change Joanna's hopes of making Derek fall for Emily. 

"Do you think I exaggerated with the red lipstick?" Joanna asked the trio as they parked the car and made their way to the hospital. "What if they don't like me? What if I'm a bad teacher?"

"It will be ok, you just need to stay calm," Emily said.

"And they will like you," Christopher added. "If they don't, we will kick their asses."

"And you will be a good teacher," Derek reassured. "After all, you learned from the best," he added, smirking as he playfully nudged her.

"Oh shut up," Joanna said, even though she was thankful for the smile that had appeared on her lips.

"I'll see you later," Derek said, kissing her forehead and leaving for the attending's locker room.

Joanna, Emily, and Christopher made their way to the resident's locker room, where they changed into their hospital scrubs. Joanna found a list of names attached to her cubby, which caused her to freak out for a second or two. It was really happening. It felt surreal the idea that she was going to be responsible for teaching other doctors, especially since she hadn't been in Seattle Grace for that long.

"Rhodes! Let's go," Dr. Bailey called, rushing her to go meet her interns.

Joanna stepped inside the intern's locker room and called. "Aaron Dunn, Adam Underwood, Rosa Cervantes, Mia Kennedy, and Nicholas Simmons, come with me."

Five interns rushed to meet her, and Rhodes guided them through the hospital, stopping for them to get their pagers.

"All right, introductions first. My name is Joanna Rhodes, I'm a third-year surgical resident and I will be responsible for you during the next year. This means that every mistake you make is ultimately, my mistake as well," Joanna said, her voice not too cold but at the same time not all that friendly. "I know you were all great students, probably top of your class. But today, you are no longer medical students, you are doctors. You will have people depending on you, whose lives are in your hands. You will see people die, and people live. You will see the worst side of humanity, but you will also see the best. It's not going to be easy, and it will have an emotional tone on every one of you. That is why the five of you need to rely on each other. You don't have to be friends with one another, but it will make the job a hell of a lot easier. And you will also need to rely on me. I'll be here to walk you through your entire residency, not just this one year."