𝟎𝟏𝟕. ...as we know it

CODE BLUE

CODE BLUE

017. ... AS WE KNOW IT

season two, episode seventeen

────────

EMILY got to Bailey's room, desperate to get a bit of distraction. The thought of Joanna, Derek, or Christopher not getting back alive today was slowly driving her insane. She was torn between going upstairs and begging Joanna to take her place, hiding in a corner and crying, going back to OR 3, and dragging Rosa by the hair toward safety.

"Can you help me find my suitcase?" Bailey asked, teary-eyed. "I need my suitcase. I'm going home."

"Dr. Bailey," Emily said softly. " You're having a baby."

"There's not going to be any baby born today!" Bailey yelled. "I'm holding it in! I'll have him tomorrow. Just not now. Not like this. No! Just, no. I'm going home. I'm going home right now," her voice trailed off as she broke down crying. "I can't. I can't do this without my husband. I can't do this alone."

Emily did something oddly instinctive: she pulled Miranda Bailey into a tight hug. "Shh, it's ok. You are not doing this alone," she muttered. "I'm not leaving your side."

⋆⋅☆⋅⋆

JOANNA and Derek worked fast and efficiently. Until, of course, they found a new bleed that made things infinitely more complicated. Because obviously, this day wasn't complicated and hard enough as it was. "Joanna, I can't do this by the textbook!" Derek argued as they had a slightly heated argument about what to do.

"What other choice do you have, Derek?!" Joanna asked. "He's got a second bleed under the skull base!"

"If I do by the book, he could lose the power of speech, herniate through the first craniotomy and die."

"What, so you will just wing it?" Joanna argued. "Because by your approach, he could also lose the power of speech, herniate through the first craniotomy and die."

"Dr. Shepherd?" Burke asked, entering the O.R., interrupting their argument. "How's it going?"

"He's got a second bleed under the skull base," Derek said. "If I do what Rhodes wants, he could lose the power of speech, herniate through the first craniotomy and die."

"What's your other option?" Burke asked.

"Well if we do what I wanna do..." Derek trailed off.

"He could lose the power of speech, herniate through the first craniotomy and die," Joanna repeated.

"Well good luck with that," Burke snickered.

"Thanks," Derek muttered. "Is there something you want, Dr. Burke?"