𝟎𝟏𝟔. it's the end of the world...

CODE BLUE

CODE BLUE

016. IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD

season two, episode sixteen

────────

THE THREE MUSKETEERS, as Joanna's interns had started calling them, arrived at the hospital pleased to see that the nurses were back after a tough negotiation with the Chief. As they went to the locker room to change, Joanna stopped by at the nurses' station to 1) congratulate them on achieving their goal 2) praise them, and say that the hospital wasn't the same without them 3) dig for any cool cases she could give her interns.

Turns out, there was almost nothing. Christopher, forever Burke's loyal puppy, headed straight to his service, begging Joanna to send anybody but Yang to go with him. Emily, eager to do as little as possible all day long, volunteered to pre and post-op at the pediatric I.C.U.

And with so, Joanna was left alone to go face ten eager interns, filled with nothing but the desire to cut people open. "Good morning," she greeted as Adam handed her the morning cup of cappuccino they used to bribe her. "In case you all haven't noticed, we have a quiet board."

"That's a bad sign," Christopher said, passing by them.

"Why is it a bad sign?" Mia asked.

"The quiet board," Joanna explained, at which Cristina scoffed. Jesus, that girl was getting under her skin. "You don't believe me?"

"I mean, it is a little too superstitious for me to believe it, besides-" Cristina muttered, stopping herself mid-sentence as the Chief approached them.

"Chief, will you please tell them what a quiet board means?" Joanna asked.

Richard, gave a tired sigh, "Trouble. A quiet board means trouble. A quiet board means death. A quiet board means bad news," he spoke, before adding, "I want as many of your interns on trauma as possible. And can you come to my office with me?"

"Sure," Joanna said. "I just need one second."

"I'll wait," the Chief said, quietly observing Joanna's teaching skills.

Joanna nodded, before turning back to the interns. "I have one spot for Shepherd, one for ortho, one with Burke, and the rest trauma," she spoke. "But since I can't promise those of you in trauma will have OR time, I will prioritize the surgeries to the three of you who can answer my questions."

They all waited eagerly as Joanna randomly selected charts from the nurse's station. "A 50-year-old man has been in the ICU for three weeks following the repair of a ruptured AAA.  He develops a fever, hypotension, and a new heart murmur.  Blood cultures grow vancomycin-resistant enterococcus.  The best antibiotic treatment for this condition is?"