6: Red Beans and Rice

The easiest part of a relationship is getting into it. It takes little to no effort to enter a relationship with someone no matter what kind of relationship it is. But for a relationship like the one Zayn and Harry have entered- one that has barely gone on for two months- it's very hard to have complete trust in that partner or to be fully open with them. To be so open so soon is always a risk and it isn't a risk one is always willing to take.

However, Zayn and Harry's circumstance isn't a typical one. It was almost required to be this open before they could continue. Now they know something about each other that no one else can simply look at them and know. They know intimate parts about each other and they know about each other's intimate parts. And even though there is still so much more to get to know, the hardest and easiest parts are out of the way. All that's left is what's in the middle. The other things that will draw them closer.

Zayn's sitting down to lunch in the teacher's lounge when Ms. Flagg comes in. As soon as she sees him, she sits down at his table. Zayn hasn't eaten lunch in the teacher's lounge in so long for this very reason. But today he wanted to change up his place of eating so he'd have close access to coffee when he needed it.

"Hello."

"Hello." He says in return, although his tone clearly indicates disinterest.

"Happy belated birthday."

"Thanks."

After a period of awkward silence, she speaks up again.

"So... it's been getting around that you kissed Harry in the hallway last week."

"Mhm."

"And I also saw you two kiss before you left work the other day."

"Yes. So?"

"Why'd you do it?"

"What?"

"Why did you kiss Harry?"

He pauses. "Uh... because I like him and I wanted to."

She sits back in her chair and crosses her legs and arms. "Interesting."

"Why is that interesting?"

"Because you never kissed him on campus before I told you that you and Harry never kiss at school. That leads me to think it's performative."

Zayn is offended. "Excuse me?"

"You're doing it because of me. You didn't even express any kind of sexual interest in him until he asked you to dinner and even then, you still showed none. It's like you only said yes to being with him so that you didn't have to face me like a man. You may not be straight, but you're damn sure not gay and I know you're into women."

"Whoa, okay. That is very disrespectful." He says, getting angry.

"Is it?"

"It is. And it's homophobic."

"Except it isn't and I know it isn't. And you know how I know it isn't? Because I know something about you, Mr. Malik. Something that could get you in a lot of trouble if it went any further. But I like you and it's the only thing stopping me from saying anything before something happens."

Zayn scoffs. "And what is it that you know? You know nothing. You just think you know. And why did you even sit here anyway? What is this even about? You think that because I'm not sucking his dick in between classes that I'm not attracted to him and that it means I like women? Or is it that I must be attracted to you?"

"This isn't even about me, actually."

"Yes it is. It's always been about you. From the moment you started flirting and I rejected you. What you think you know about me, you don't know about me. So no matter what, you'll never convince me to date you. And even if I did date women, I'm asexual. Which means you and I..." He points back and forth between the two of them. "...will never sleep together. Ever. And I know that must make you really mad. But I don't give a damn and I never will."