10: Waffles and Syrup

Valentines Day was something quite special for Zayn and Harry. They had crossed a boundary that of which seemingly was impossible for two people of their nature. And they did it without rushing each other. They waited three months.

It still didn't feel like three months though. Not in the sense that it came too slow or too fast. But in the sense that they weren't either waiting for it or dreading it.

Time wasn't "TIME!" or "time..."

Time was just "time."

The way it should be.

And because of it, Zayn doesn't think twice when he saunters down the hallway to Harry's classroom as soon as the last bell rings.

"Hey, Harry."

"Hey. What's up?"

"I have a question. Do you have any plans this evening?"

"No. Why?"

"Because I want to invite you to dinner."

"Your place?"

"No. My father's place. We're having a very early family dinner and I want you to meet my family."

Harry looks amused but not surprised. "Your family? Mr. Malik, does this mean we're getting serious?"

"I think it does, Mr. Styles."

"Wow."

"So do you want to come meet them?"

"Are they expecting me?"

"No. But they're kind of hoping you show up."

He raises his brow now.

"What?"

"They don't know I'm dating you specifically or anyone at all. But they are hoping one day I bring someone to meet them. Because then they'll know I'm in a relationship with someone who knows about me and genuinely cares about me."

"Oh. I see."

"So will you come for dinner and meet them?"

This isn't a thinking matter for Harry at all. "I would love to come for dinner and meet your family. What time?"

"Right after school. I was hoping you could trail me there straight from here."

Now he is surprised, but no less excited. "Sure. I can do that."

"Good. So I'll just go get my things and head to my car and then when you come out, you can follow me there. Okay?"

"Sure."

Zayn is so eager for tonight that he leaves out of there quickly and without another word. As he walks down the hallway, children are pointing and whispering. They're saying something about him for sure. He knows it. And he even thinks about stopping them and demanding to know the big secret.

But the more he thinks about it, the less he cares. And if it is something about Ms. Flagg, he's way over it. Nothing is going to get in the way of the long awaited night in store for him.

He doesn't have to wait long for Harry. So soon, they are making the drive to the home of Zayn's father.

When they get there, they both park in the driveway and get out.

"Looks like everyone else is already here." Zayn says.

"Oh."

"You remember my two sisters, right?"

"Waliyha and um... Safaa?"

"Yep. And my father is Yaser. You can call him Mr. Malik at first but he's going to make you call him Yaser right away. So as soon as he corrects you, don't feel like you're being disrespectful."