So human I am

One

Present

Crack. POW!

The sound of animal-like whimpers rang through the woods, along with the voices of hunters. Calling to each other, closing in on the large black wolf that lay now wounded in the marsh. His eyes pleaded for help, as the hunter's flashlight beams came into view. A huge, sandy brown wolf came into view, his eyes burning with rage. A low growl rumbled from his chest as he locked eyes with me.

Past

"Theo" Someone called.

I blinked out of my trance and placed my book down. I turned to see my co-worker Cassidy rolling behind the café counter, with a cart heavily loaded with milk, whipped cream, and other assortments.

"Hey, what's up?" I nodded.

"Here, come help me put the stuff away" Cassidy insisted, as she made her way around the cart, into the stock room.

I tightened the strings on my barista apron and made my way over to the cart.

"Let's get it done while it's slow" Cassidy insisted, as she opened the fridge.

I nodded and began unloading the gallons of milk from the cart and handing them off to her. Once everything was put away, Cassidy callously wheeled the cart away and in the direction of the back of the store.

"Oh, Edith said you're closing tonight" Cassidy called behind her.

"Oh, come on seriously?" I yelled after her.

Just then, three girls around my age entered the store. They stepped passed the threshold of the alarm sensors, making the doorbell go: Beee-booo. They turned right and made their way towards the café counter. They were deep in conversation, and from their tones they were quite serious. One girl had dark hair, almost as dark as my long, Onyx colored mop top, which I had pulled back in a decent looking man bun. She was dressed in black and white, Taylor wedged sneakers, blue leggings, and a white sweatshirt covered in Greek lettering. Maybe in a sorority? I tilted my head to the right in amusement.

Beside her stood a pretty blonde, that was more fashionable clothes and caked on make-up than she was a person. She was arguing back nonchalantly, while she dug around in her purple, leather Prada bag, hanging from her right shoulder. Standing behind them, the shortest of the three was a strawberry blonde, dressed in a long sleeved, flannel shirt, black, tight fitting, cargo sweatpants, a pair of black and white converse, and an ACDC beanie over her long, vines of hair.

"Oh my God Liv you are so basic" grunted the blonde.

"I'm telling you the wolves are out early this year Shyla" Liv replied, as she rummaged for her wallet.

I cleared my throat. They all looked up at me.

"How can I help you ladies; will it all be one order?" I probed, flashing my most sincere grin.

"Yes, I'm paying" Liv smirked.

"You paid last time" Shyla frowned.

The strawberry-blonde didn't say a word, she just looked up from her phone every now and then. You could tell from her expression that the bickering between the other two happened more often than she liked to admit.

"Whatever" Liv said, rolling her eyes and tossing her American Express over the counter so fast, I couldn't catch it. It landed on the countertop with a Tap. Tap.

"Let me get a Grande caramel macchiato, with soy milk, extra shot of espresso" Liv smacked her lips.

"Let me get a skinny latte' with sugar free vanilla, one shot of espresso, Grande please" Shyla demanded.