So Over It

Graduation night at Juneau-Douglas High was just like graduation at any other high school. Overly excited, emotional, annoying family that took an embarrassing amount of pictures. The popular girls taking duck face pictures and snapchats with a ton of filters. Some of them were even going live on TikTok. The popular guys and the jocks were busy taking pictures, showing off their guns and talking about the after party. I was busy sitting in a chair watching the disgusting display. All of the Seniors were placed in the Senior hall until time to walk out onto the football field and take our seats.

“Well, hey tramp” someone said.

I looked up to see Shyla and Olivia standing over me. Shyla stood frowning, while Olivia stood beside her, head down, fidgeting with her fingers.

“What do you want, haven’t you done enough damage for one day?” I grimaced.

Shyla opened her foul mouth to speak.

“Theo, can we talk please, alone?” Olivia interrupted sincerely.

Shyla looked at her, a perplexed expression on her face. I couldn’t help but share her concern.

“If she’s pregnant I’m kicking your ass” Shyla snapped, before turning on her heel and walking away to join the rest of the Seniors.

          I adjusted my mortarboard cap as Olivia sat in the chair beside me. She ran her fingers through her dark chocolate-colored hair, and then used said fingers to smooth out her crimson red and black robe. She adjusted her feet, which were decorated tonight with a pair of nude colored Louboutin heels. They were at least six inches. Jesus, how could this woman walk? If she stood up, she’d actually be an inch or two taller than me.

“So, graduation huh?” She smiled nervously.

She’s stalling.

“Olivia talk” I said, now agitated.

“But I’m just enjoying sitting here” Olivia smiled, playing with my ponytail at the nape of my neck.

I leaned away from her so she couldn’t touch my hair.

“Liv so help me god” I growled.

She was the best and worst mistake. Worst because she toyed with people, and I knew she was buttering me up for something. She was relentless. Best, because through her I met Maggi.

“I need your help with something” Olivia sighed.

“And why should I help you?” I asked. “You broke up with me technically, and the dragon lady is your bff.”

“Please?” Olivia begged.

“Fine, what is it?” I asked.

         Just then Mr. Oates called for everyone to start heading out to the field. As we marched out on the freshly cut grass, spotlights blared in my face, while the band sent ‘Pomp and Circumstance’ pumping out into the air. Olivia turned and grinned at me as we started down the line of chairs on the ‘A’ row. Three weeks and I didn’t know the woman’s name was Allen.

         A lump formed in my throat, and the pit of my stomach ached at the thought of the sinister plan this woman had for me. Ten more hours to go. After party and time with Maggi and I’d be good. I can do this for ten more hours. I positioned myself in front of my seat and turned to face the stage. I could hear my family hooting and calling my name from the crowd. My redneck Aunt Muriel and Uncle Timothy even brought a homemade banner. Covered in Cheeto dust and beer stains, they flailed it in the air like a proud flag.