Maggi and Theo are a thing?

"God, I hate malls" I protested.

            Maggi and I were walking around Mendenhall Mall, in search of something for her to wear to the graduation party tomorrow night. One more day, one more day and I'll be out of here. I had already bought a plane ticket to New York through Roland's dad Malcolm. It nearly cost me an entire paycheck. I couldn't risk my dad finding out anything. I would tell my mom graduation night and make her swear to secrecy, but dad would only find out the next morning when he saw my empty bed and room.

"You don't hate the mall, no one hates the mall" Maggi giggled.

We were standing in a Hot Topic, while Maggi gathered things to try on.

"I hate the mall" I repeated under my breath, as I scrolled through my phone.

"What about this?" Maggi asked.

She stepped out of a dressing room in a black spaghetti strap crop top, baggy light blue jeans, torn at the knees and a red and black plaid flannel.

"Isn't that what you always wear?" I questioned with one eyebrow raised.

"Not quite, slightly similar, how do I look?"

"You look like Debbie Thornberry" I chuckled lightly.

"Shut up" Maggi smirked.

"What, you do?" I shrugged.

"Will you just tell me how I look?" Maggi huffed.

"What's in it for me?"

Maggi crossed her arms in front of her chest with frustration.

"I'll buy you something from Cinnabon."

"Sold, you look hot" I laughed.

"I hate you" Maggi laughed.

"Hate me? You're the one that dragged me to the mall on a Thursday afternoon even though I detest malls. Why did I let you talk me into this again?" I asked.

"Because I'm your best friend" Maggi laughed.

"Gosh, you women and your labels. You know you have to get consent before you put a label on a relationship" I smiled lightly.

"Do I?" Maggi grinned devilishly.

She had me, and she knew it, and I loved every minute of it.

We ended our afternoon walking through downtown Juneau. I had my Cinnabon frosting cup and was running my left index finger around the inside of it, collecting its leftover contents and eating it. Maggi was busy blowing bubbles through a circular stick, from a bottle of bubble soap she'd purchased. She blew bubble after bubble and gasped each time as if it were the first time.

"What are you four?" I laughed lightly.

"I'm a cat actually, a cat filled with child-like wonder" She beamed.

"That doesn't make sense" I laughed.

Just then Maggi's phone rang. She stopped walking, closed the top on the bubbles and sat them down. She swiftly began rummaging through her satchel that was sitting on her hip. As she answered her phone my phone vibrated. I pulled it from my pocket to see a text message from mom. I unlocked my phone and read her message.

MOM: Your dad wants the car back here by 4pm. You know he's off today, so he wants to go out with the boys.

I groaned and rolled my eyes before texting back.

ME: sixteen hundred hours copy that.

I hit send. Just as I slid my phone back into my pocket and looked up, Maggi was looking at me. On her face sat a cringed look.