Truth to light

I leaped up, wide awake from my sleep. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. My bare upper torso was drenched in sweat, as I heaved deeply, pulling any air in my lungs that I could muster from the humid room. Although, it was snowing outside, Maggi's mom had the central heat dialed up to hell. It made the dark room feel similar to a sauna; the only light showing in being from the window I always climbed in.

Although the air seemed moist, it was also suffocating. I wiped sweat from my forehead with the back of my left hand. I decided to check on Maggi, to make sure I didn't startle her with my late-night flailing and thrashing. What a really weird nightmare. I reached over in the darkness where I assumed her right shoulder would be.

As I flattened out my hand and lowered it, it rested nicely on a plumped pillow. I quickly reached down, grabbed my phone from inside my shoe and clicked on the flashlight. I turned to my left, and Maggi's side of the bed was vacant.

Where was she? I got up from the bed, pulling my sweats up over my bare lower half, and decided to go look for her. I knew I had to be as stealthy as possible. With my phone clasped in hand, flashlight on, I made my way down the hall passed her mom's room, and then downstairs. I started hearing two voices whispering and muttering in the kitchen.

One voice was clearly Maggi's and the other I couldn't quite make out, but I know I'd heard it before. The familiarity pinged incessantly at a memory in my mind. I looked at my phone; it was three in the morning. Who was this?

"You have got to get the fuck out of here it's Christmas eve dude" Maggi growled, her voice just above a whisper.

"I just needed to talk to you" the other voice said.

"This couldn't wait until the Christmas Carnival tomorrow?" Maggi insisted. "You're lucky my mom isn't here, or you'd wake her, and God forbid you wake up Theo he has a temper, and he already doesn't like you" Maggi informed.

That's my girl.

"I don't give a flying...I don't care whether I wake Theo or not. And he's spending the night, you've never let me spend the night."

My eyes widened and a low growl rose from my throat.

Fucking Terry.

"Yes, he's spending the night, but that's none of your business. Why are you here Terry?" Maggi demanded.

"I came to warn you about your precious Theo" Terry said mockingly. "He's hiding something."

"Why is it all of a sudden you want me back? Is it because I'm with someone else?" Maggi asked.

"Oh, please get over yourself this is bigger than me and you, and Theo is in the middle of it" Terry frowned.

I leaned against the wall by the stairs that separated the kitchen from the living room. What is he talking about? What could he possibly know?

"I'm listening" Maggi said.

"He's dangerous, he's not who, or what you think he is?" Terry said.

Uh-oh.

He knows, he knows about me being a werewolf. But how could he? How could he know?

"What I think he is?" Maggi questioned, before exploding with a cackle.

I knew it was time to step in before he told her everything. I stepped around the wall and Maggi and Terry both turned their heads in my direction, looking like deer in headlights.

"What's going on here?" I asked, as if I wasn't eavesdropping on the other side of the wall.

"Hey, what are you doing up?" Maggi smiled, heartwarmingly.