So human I am not

I woke and began getting dressed. After talking about my flight arrangements on the phone with Roland I had an hour and a half left. I had just enough time to go to my house, grab my things and have Roland pick me up. Just as I was slipping into my shoes, Maggi winced behind me, and then rolled on her side.

“Be easy, you’re going to be sore the first time” I smiled.

“I embrace the pain, even when you had to pull the condom out of me” she grinned, propping her head up on her elbow.

I turned around, leaned down, kissed her lips and got up from the bed.

“Will you call me when you get there?” Maggi asked.

“Every damn day” I replied, pulling my damp shirt over my head.

Maggi giggled as she sat up on the bed.

“So, you’re in, we’re going to make this work?” I questioned.

Maggi nodded happily as she bit her bottom lip.

“I have to go” I said, as I turned and headed for the window.

Maggi followed behind me with the bedsheets wrapped around her body. I kissed her once more before dashing out the window and across the rooftop.

**************************************          

Where the fuck have you been?” Dad’s voice barreled at me, as I was pulling my bags out of the closet under the stairs.

         I got home and gotten dressed in a charcoal gray, long-sleeved shirt, a black, denim, sleeveless vest, with black hood, a pair of dark brown gamer cargo pants and a new pair of black and white chuck converse. On the front of the chucks I wrote “Maggi’s eyes” and I’d placed one of her hair clips, that I’d grabbed from her dresser, on the shoelace. A gold one, with pale blue fluttering butterfly on it. The butterflies wings were on tiny springs, giving them the illusion of flapping.

“What?” I asked, looking at my dad as he descended the staircase.

“You ran off after graduation, where the fuck did you go? And what happened to you, did you get in a fight?” dad growled.

He paused at the bottom of the stairs when he noticed my suitcase, backpack and two duffel bags.

“Where are you going?” he frowned.

“I’m going to New York, now” I said.

“How, you have no money?” dad asked.

“Yes, I do” I said.

“From where, not that little bullshit coffee job” dad chuckled.

“I gave him money.”

Dad and I paused to see mom standing at the top of the stairs.

“Excuse me?” dad frowned.

“I gave him the money James” mom repeated as she started down the stairs.

“Who gave you the right?” dad snapped.

“He’s my son, I gave it to myself” mom informed as she stepped off the last step.

“He’s not going to New York” dad yelled.

“Why because you control him like you control me?” mom bit.

The words I’d said to her stung my heart once again. I didn’t realize how damaged their marriage was, they hid most of it so well from me.

“I should have never legally adopted you” Dad sneered, peering over his shoulder at me.