𝘛𝘩𝘪𝘳𝘵𝘺 𝘛𝘸𝘰 - 𝘙𝘰𝘯𝘢𝘯

* * *

She's gone

She's gone.

I blink the sleep out of my eyes as I look over at the clock on the bedside desk. 3am it reads in bold bright red numbers. I sigh turning to look out of the window, the moon is full tonight.

My hand grazes where she lays. It's cold.

Pushing the cover off I turn and get out of bed, slowly making my way out of the bedroom. I follow blindly in the dark, my hand following the curves of the walls as I figure out which way to go.

Clicking the door open I spot his little dinosaur night light and sigh in relief as I spot his tiny body curled up under his blanket. Peeking over the top my hand finds his face, brushing away the hair that is beginning to get too long. He sighs the furrow in his eyebrows smoothing out from my touch.

I smile and leave knowing that he is sleeping and happy.

Moving my hands along the wall I stop as I see some light underneath the bathroom door. My shoulders drop as my heart breaks. I should've known she would be there. Swallowing deeply I gently press the door open my eyes seeking her out.

I find her curled up against the wall, dried tears evident on her face as she watches the bath blankly. I wish I could erase this memory of hers, the one that keeps her up most nights. I can only sympathise with her because I have no idea what it would be like to be drowned let alone in front of my baby.

She doesn't notice me at first but the moment I crouch down onto my knees I watch her flinch. Her eyes widen but calm once she see's me. It doesn't take away the ache in my chest knowing she flinched.

I wanted to kill that bastard after what he had done to Lucas. Then I wanted to kill him even more when he had the guts to grab hold of Shelby. Yet no matter how much I wanted to tear up the earth for her it isn't what she needed.

I take her into my arms, her body curling up in my lap as we sit on the bathroom floor. My hand finds the side of her face as I hold her to my chest, her hands fisting the t-shirt I had just shoved on. We say nothing and instead let our minds do the talking, our bodies showing each other that it's okay to be vulnerable.

It doesn't take much until she begins to cry and I can do nothing but hold her tight and reassure her that she is safe. I never thought I was one to be able to feel for someone else yet the pain in my chest considers me wrong.

Minuets turn into an hour and she is finally quiet. This has been our routine for the past 2 weeks so my butt is used to becoming numb on this floor. I ask the same question I have done every night, "What can I do?"