Chapter I - Orbit-Deep in the Dead

(Coruscant Orbit, no one's point of view)

"THE TEMPLE IS OVERRUN!"

"RETREAT TO THE LOWER LEVELS!"

"PROTECT THE CHANCELLOR!"

"THE CAPTAIN IS DOWN!"

"TELL THEM TO LIFT OFF NOW!"

"THEY'RE PULLING THE WALKER DOWN!"

"I CAN'T GET THROUGH TO HQ!"

"DOES ANYONE HAVE EYES ON THE GENERAL?"

"AIM FOR THE HEAD!"

"THEY'VE BROKEN THROUGH THE FRONT LINES!"

"General! Reinforcements are inbou-!"

"NOOO! TELL THEM TO RUN! FALL BAAA-!"

"Damn it all!" Admiral Yularen yelled as he slammed his fist on the transmitter in frustration, before switching it to a different frequency. "General Skywalker, I know you can hear all of this too, please tell me you're almost done!"

"Working on it Admiral." Anakin replied firing his interceptor cannons through a pack of cacodemons, the red balls of demonic lethargy being torn apart by the collection of laser fire, one of them even swallowed a shot and cried in pain as its tongue was now on fire. "If it makes you feel better, the initial push appears to be a success, R2 reports that the horde has been reduced by ten perce- WOAH" Anakin shrieked in surprise, steering his Interceptor away and just barely grazing the chunky pain elemental that appeared in his flight path. R2-D2 beeped at Anakin and shook in his little dock out of terror at the near collision.

"I agree with R2." Ahsoka said as she caught up next to her master in her own interceptor "Let him take the wheel, you clearly aren't up for this." She said before blasting a trio of pain elementals in front of them.

"Now don't you start with me." Anakin snapped back. As they continued their assault, a large horde of cacodemons gathered behind them. The demons conjured up energy inside their mouths and let it out in the form of demonic plasma shots. The deadly material could burn through the toughest metal the Republic could muster and had already proved to be too much for their cruisers when the beasts set their sights on the bridge and thrusters. Fortunately for the Republic, their fighter crafts had the advantage of speed. The cacodemons as well as the pain elementals were remarkably slow in movement, although the latter had no need for speed when they attacked with enemy seeking souls that moved at considerable paces. Luckily for Anakin and his padawan, they were dealing with the former. The cacodemons were not the best at aiming when it came to objects moving at great velocity. The demons fired at random at the two Jedi interceptors, only for the two to summersault above the attack and change direction back to where they came from. Before the lazy creatures could muster up more demonic energy for another attack, the two Jedi unleashed a flurry of plasma attacks on the cacodemons, decimating them with effort and reducing them to fine red mist in the vacuum of space.

"Master, Coric is requesting assistance. The meatballs are locked onto his squadron and are delivering heavy resistance." Ahsoka said on the coms. Anakin nodded, tuning his com. "Coric. What's your position?"

"General Skywalker! My squadron is attempting to make it past the Resolute, but there's a large pack of the brown challenged preventing us from getting far! We are requesting immediate assistance!"

"Acknowledged, we're on our w-" Anakin replied before looking up and steering clear after realizing he was about to hit a cacodemon. "Way."

There were several more of the red and brown hell spawn on the flight path that Anakin and Ahsoka took back to the Resolute star destroyer. Accompanied by demolished and burning husks of multiple Republic spacecraft. Reconnaissance starfighters, Torrent star fighters, Y-Wing bombers, pieces of ships were littering the space above Coruscant. As the two Jedi navigated the debris field, Ahsoka began to grow concerned about her master's clear lack of focus in the battle. He may still be alive, out of sheer luck, but it was making him look bad. He's always been a renowned pilot but this, this was just sloppy. Although her worry persisted, she couldn't complain too much, it gave her a chance to outshine him. She blasted a roaring pain elemental back to hell after it had risen up beside his flight path and pulled out a soul from its gullet, rearing back its arm to toss it at her master before it was destroyed by several shots to the eye.