Chapter VIII - Galaxy on Fire

(Gyndine, Ahsoka's point of view)

My leg was surging with pain, every minute it got harder and harder to keep standing

"They just keep coming!" X2 said from right next to me. He peeked from the side of the walker and fired his blaster at the demons. "I don't know how much longer we can last!"

"We'll keep fighting until we go down if we have to!" X1 said. He suddenly froze. "REVENANT!"

A strong explosion went off right against the walker, it shook us all.

"Urrragh!" I groaned in pain through clenched teeth, the ground shook under us and my leg gave out from the trembling. I collapsed against the downed AT-AP walker that the Xs and a few of the torrent troopers along with myself were now using as cover.

"Commander!" Fives rushed over to me and took a look at me.

"1, we can't stay like this, we need to-" X2 said.

X1 clenched his fists around his hand blasters "Do. Not. Say it."

"You know what this is! We need to start thinking about a retreat, I think we've really overstayed our welcome."

"DAMNIT!" X1 exclaimed. "What the hell did we come all this way out here for?! Haven't we lost too many to call for a retreat?!"

"Haven't we lost too many to understand that these things are tougher than they look?" X2 responded

"Commander Tano? Please tell me you're still with us?" Fives said and placed his hand on my shoulder."

I winced at the constant pain in my thigh, and held it tight. I looked up at Fives through painful squinting eyes and said, "Truth be told, I don't know how much longer I can be out here, it's so hard to stay up."

"Damn it."Fives clenched his fist and slammed it into the side of the walker. "Damn challenged scum!" He exclaimed and rose up and aimed his blaster at the revenant approaching us with fury.

Before either of them could attack one another, we heard an alarming boom.

"What the hell was that?!" X1 questioned.

We all looked around us until X2 gasped and pointed his finger towards the clouds. "Up there! In the sky!"

I looked up, and my eyes widened in surprise. "Oh... my gosh..." Thousands of feet up in the air, pieces of cruiser debris were falling out of the sky and becoming engulfed in flames as they rained down through the atmosphere. Further back in space, a gigantic smoke cloud and a collection of debris that hadn't broken past Gyndine's gravity well remained.

"How??" I asked, stunned. But then suddenly, the revenant that was attacking us screeched loudly. My battle instincts kicked back in and I asked "What's going on back there?!"

"Don't worry!" Fives said and put his focus back on the revenant, "He's mi-..." Fives was suddenly silenced and stood still in his spot.

That was when I noticed an uncanny silence in the area. The sounds of indiscriminate shouting and ordering could still be heard but... no blasters? "What's going on? Fives!" I exclaimed, "What's going on?!" I said again.

"I... I don't know. Come see for yourself." Fives said.

I grabbed the side of the walker and pulled myself up, only to hit the floor again after letting go. "Ow."

"Need some help?" Jesse said as he knelt down next to me.

"I appreciate it." I said. He took my right arm and wrapped it over his shoulder. He hoisted me up while I held onto him like a crutch. We walked over to the left side of the walker and peeked out from the side. "What the..." I said in disbelief, mostly confusion.