Chapter X - Ripping Off The Bandage

(A few years ago, Jedi Temple, Ahsoka's point of View)

"Do you have anything to add to Master Kenobi's description of the Felucia battle?" Master Windu asked me with a critical gaze that many of the other council members held as they sat in their seats in the circular chamber.

"No, master." I said. "Nothing to add, his recollection of the battle is accurate."

"Any words to say for your actions, do you have?" Master Yoda asked.

"I have no reason to excuse myself. I understand after looking back that I was wrong, that I was irresponsible to refuse my masters' orders to retreat." I said while struggling to maintain eye contact, "I was so sure of myself that I could win the fight, I was confident in my abilities, but, I guess I disregarded the abilities of my troopers as a whole."

"There is more to it than that." Master Mundi said from behind me.

I let out a sigh and continued. "I failed to see the battle as a whole as well. I was only focused on my victory and not the victory and survival of the rest of the troopers spread out across the field. It was selfish. Masters, I have been careless."

"I take rightful responsibility for this incident." Master Anakin said. "I see now that I have been far too easy going on my young padawan. Ahsoka has great abilities and potential, she is a good soldier and a loyal Jedi, but she still lets her emotions get the better of her from time to time, and I have underestimated that." He placed his hand over my shoulder. "Her overconfidence is due to my reckless and swift approval and enabling of her to take up responsibilities that she isn't quite ready to hold up."

"The greatest form of carelessness, overconfidence is." Master Yoda said.

"I agree." Master Windu said, "And that is something that young Ahsoka must learn, even despite your claims, Skywalker. We shall have her restricted to the jedi temple so that she can learn from her mistakes." I faced the floor in defeat after he said this.

"Archive security, a peaceful environment you will have. Understand and and reflect on your actions, you may." Master Yoda said with a soft smile.

My jaw dropped. "Guard duty??" I exclaimed. But Master Anakin sharply glanced down on me and silently signaled for me to just go with it. "...For how long?" I asked.

"Longer now." Master Windu said.

A few hours later, I was still being given the tour of the Jedi Archives in the first hall when it was cut short.

"Do not treat this assignment as a chore of punishment," Madame Jocasta said as she walked me through the tour of the archives, "The truth is, most others would see it as a privilege. I cannot tell you in short detail how many people of the Republic would give so much to spend but a few minutes among these shelves. The Jedi archives are the grandest and most fullest source of knowledge in the entire galaxy, to have authority in these halls is a great honor."

"I appreciate the sentiment, Madame Jocasta." I said with the most painful straight face.

"Very good. I'm afraid, unfortunately," She said and stopped walking, "that I must leave you for now. My attention is needed at the central rotunda. For now, please keep close eye on the archives. I will return to you soon to see how you are feeling. Farewell Padawan Tano."

"You as well, Madame." I said. She smiled and gave a polite bow before walking away. I spent several minutes walking through the halls and shelves, keeping an eye out for anyone who might need help, but the archives were uniquely empty today. I let out a yawn and scratched my back. It already feels like weeks ago I was slicing clankers and deflecting blaster bolts, now the only challenge is trying to keep my eyes open while walking. What I wouldn't do to hear a good gag from Corric right now.