Chapter XIX - Out of the frying pan

Ah damn, RIP in peace to @OverlyRudeHumanBeing. Probably snitched on for having the based opinion that someone's story sucked (and I'm sure it did) I'll miss that sarcastic lil bitch, but you bet I'll be continuing the hate campaign in his honor.

You all suck.

o7

I hope I done you proud my nibba ),:

Ok on to the story

(A few years ago, Fall of Falleen, Royal fortress underground network, your point of view)

"Wait, I sense something," Noirah said from our rear, inciting Dama and I to stop and turn to her.

"What?" I asked, "What do you see?"

"I sense it too," Dama said, "... commandos."

"Where?" I asked, sensing droids somewhere, but my nose was far too overwhelmed with the smell down here to focus on where they were.

"Up ahead," Dama said and quickly retracted his lightsaber, "Keep it down." Noirah and I deactivated our lightsabers as well, trapping us all back in darkness. We got low and followed Dama's lead, stepping as light on our feet as possible. I pressed my hand against the wall to get a feeling of location in the nearly pitch-black tunnels, still trying to get my senses right. Soon enough though, the faint glow of flashlights skimmed across our path, making me almost skip a breath. What followed as the lights grew brighter were the sounds of rapid clanking, like marching.

Without a second thought, I dove to the right into a small chamber full of dust and cobwebs, and hid behind the wall. Noirah sprinted in after me while Dama quickly jumped to the left, hiding behind a few old boxes. The corridor gradually became more illuminated as the metal marching grew closer. I could sense them now but it didn't matter because a few seconds later, several commando droids sprinted through the corridor. I held my breath and tucked my head back as they all ran in formation in the direction that we came from. Noirah and I were safe from being seen in the room we were in, but I was concerned for Dama who was still out in the corridor behind a thin cover. Gripped by that worry, I peaked my head out ever so slightly and kept an eye on him until the droids all made their way past us, not having noticed a thing. I peaked at them, rushing further down the tunnel. Noirah came closer and peaked over my shoulder at the droids and breathed a sigh of relief as they disappeared in the darkness.

"They're appearing way more frequently now," I whispered, "At first it was just a few stray patrols every few miles, now it's entire squadrons every few minutes."

"They must be getting desperate. Lucky for us, they don't have the layout of these tunnels like we do," Noirah whispered back to me with a reassuring pat on the shoulder.

After the commando droids' lights faded in their descent further into the tunnels, I heard Dama emerge from behind his cover and whisper to us, "Psst, are you both alright?"

"Yeah," I said to him, "Why didn't you come over here with us??"

"Sorry," he said, "it was a split-second move, I had to act fast."

"Let's just be grateful they didn't catch you," Noirah said before taking a moment to sense the air around us, "... I think we're in the clear."

"Right. Come on, let's keep moving," Dama said before we all re-ignited our lightsabers, casting a blue light around us in a small radius, and continued on. The air was warm, and full of aged funguses. I had to cover my nose a few times as we walked on through the aged tunnels. The walls were indented and carved with ancient imagery detailing the old deities of the Falleen people and other significant symbols and figures dating back to the eras before they joined the republic. Most of these images had been covered up by mold and cobwebs, making my stomach ache. No one knows anymore what these underground passageways were used for, but I was starting to bet that burials took place nearby thanks to the deathly rotting smell, or maybe it was just the eerie atmosphere. The light of our lightsabers only stretched several feet in front of us, while obscuring everything past that in pure darkness. Torches lined the walls but they were unlit, in fact they looked like they hadn't been lit in ages. The silence was nothing short of foreboding. Nothing at all like the relaxing and easy solitude of the wind through the trees and the chirping of birds and insects out in the jungles of Falleen up on the surface. The only sounds to hear were the sounds of the three of us making our way through the gigantic labyrinth, and occasionally a few "roger roger"s and other droid dialogue from far off. There were puddles of dew stretching for long distances through the corridors, making the steps echo around us as we splashed along and making us have to step as softly as possible to avoid making too much noise, knowing there could be another droid detachment around the corner, speaking of which-