Chapter XV - Exertion

(A few years ago, Jedi temple, your point of view)

I stood there holding the detonator in my hands and feeling myself losing my balance as Cato and I stood there. Cato looked at me with my own eyes stunned out of his mind, actually, he looked really shocked. I don't know if it was because he didn't think I had the balls to call his bluff or...

Was he really bluffing? My hand started trembling, making the detonator rattle in my grasp. I- I know a liar when I see one, but, why was he even more scared now? He stumbled backward into the shelf I had pushed him into earlier and kept staring at me, completely dumbfounded.

Several seconds went by. I lifted my head up and looked around us. No alarms were going off, there was no quaking sensation. All seemed fine.

"CATO!! WHAT THE HELL?!" Bane shouted into the earpiece.

"Gah-ow!" I flinched from the sheer volume of his voice, hunching my neck down, and placed my hand over my ear to lower the volume. "What??" I snapped back at him.

"WHY DID YOU DETONATE TORDO?! THAT WASN'T PART OF THE PLAN YOU KRIFFING IDIOT!!" Bane exclaimed. I looked to the side with a stunned face. "THAT DROID, THAT KRIFFING DROID DETONATED MERE INCHES AWAY FROM ME!" Bane exclaimed, "MY BOOT THRUSTERS ARE DISABLED, I'M OFF COURSE FROM THE DIRECTIVE, AND THE JEDI TAILING ME PRACTICALLY HAVE A TRAIL LEADING TO-" I heard something behind me and before I knew it, I turned around to catch a split second of Cato rushing at me.

"Daugh!" I cried in pain when Cato smacked me right in the jaw and sent me to the floor.

"You idiot!" Cato said and raised his foot up before stomping over my neck.

"Ugh!" I choked out snipbits of air when Cato pressed his foot over my neck. I faced him from the floor and slipped my hands over his leg, trying to get him off me.

"You've ruined EVERYTHING!" Cato said as he pressed his foot down harder.

"Agh...Agh!" I choked through the pain helplessly. I could feel the muscles around my neck start to cramp from the painful pressure. The pain was coupled with a feeling of drowsiness. My windpipes were sealed shut, and I could feel my eyes start to get heavy. The struggle to use my lungs without failure was exhausting my mind to its core, I barely felt the earpiece slipping out of my ear. I felt everything starting to go blank. My vision was beginning to darken around the center, focusing only on Cato looking down at me with his teeth gritted into a grimace as he crushed my neck with his foot.

"Urgh-... Agh." I withdrew my right hand from his foot, which made it sink down on me harder from the lack of resistance. With that hand, I desperately reached down to my belt, and clutched my lightsaber hilt.

"No you don't!" Cato exclaimed and stomped his other foot over my right hand. My hand was stuck to the ground with the hilt lying diagonally. "You've been a thorn in my side all day kid!" Cato said, "You've lost me this epic score, you've compromised the entire operation, and now that I've got this crick in my back, all you need to do is lay down and DIE ALREADY!"

I ignited the lower blade as my eyelids began to gravitate toward each other.

"AH!" Cato screamed in pain. He staggered off of me and I immediately shot up and slapped my hand over my neck, gasping to bring the air back to my lungs. I looked over at Cato as I breathed heavily and soothed the pain on my neck. Cato had a thin burn mark over his left shin, the lightsaber blade had barely grazed his leg.

My mind was moving at, like mach -10. My lungs assaulted my awareness with instinctual inflation and compression at an unbelievably slow pace to get all the air back in. My breathing was slow and deep, and everything was a daze because of it. My lightsaber slid out of my loose grip. I tried to stand up quickly but my legs felt like jelly, and I fell onto my hands and knees. I wiggled my head and slapped my face, trying to wake myself back up. I winced in pain when I accidentally struck the scar over my eyebrow, causing my eyes to shoot open.