Chapter Six

Tessa

I spend the rest of my day hanging out with Colin and Micah. We spend most of it lounging on their couch, catching up on everything we've missed since we last talked. We watched some of our favorite movies and binged on some of Micah's newest culinary creations.

For an architect, he's incredibly talented in the kitchen. He took boring fruits and vegetables and turned them into art that tastes better than even the most addictive junk food. The man is a genius.

I'm dipping into my bowl of Micah's frozen banana "ice cream" creation as he and Colin discuss what we should do for the night. They toss ideas out, asking me for input every now and again as I start to doze off.

My mind takes me back to a memory. One from several years ago, when things were much simpler, and things between Levi and I were still comfortable.

*Flashback*

I was six years old, watching anxiously out the kitchen window for any signs of movement in the yard next door. School was finally out for the summer, and I couldn't wait to start enjoying the break. In our neighborhood, there weren't many families with kids my age, so by default, the few of us that lived close enough became fast friends.

There used to be three other houses close to mine where families with kids my age lived, but two of those families moved away last year. And with them went the two girls I befriended at my ripe young age, leaving only one house with school-aged children other than myself and Jason.

In that house lived Levi, Jason's best friend and the only child of our parents' two best friends. The departure of my only same-aged companions meant I automatically got to join my brother and Levi in their summer shenanigans. Not that they minded.

Usually, they would join my small group of three, and the five of us would play together, typically acting out some made-up story involving knights, princesses, witches, and dragons. The three of us girls would take turns playing the part of the princess as Levi and Jason traded off the part of the knight and the dragon as the days passed.

Now that I was the only girl left, I would always get to play the princess. It was an exciting time, and I was more than ready to start this summer vacation.

Jason yawned as he joined me by the window. "Is he out there yet?"

"Nope," I sighed, still watching out the window.

I hear a huff come from my brother as our mom calls us to breakfast. A tap on my shoulder grabs my attention. "Come on; maybe he'll be there when we're done."

Before heading to the table, I took one last glance outside, hoping to see Levi. I had a feeling about this summer- it was going to be the best ever. I just knew it.

I was halfway done with my blueberry pancakes when my dad came downstairs, planting a kiss on my cheek, then mom's, and ruffling Jason's hair before saying goodbye for the day. Mom watched him drive away with a smile on her face.

Jason and I were lucky; our parents had so much love in their hearts- for each other, for us, and for the community. There was never a day when we'd see them fight or raise their voices. In this house, it was always joyful and full of warmth. They were my idols.

I knew one day when I grew up, I'd have a life just like my mom and dad. I'd marry someone who loved me, who made me laugh- someone I could call a friend. It would be my own personal fairy tale. And I just knew it would come true.

A sigh fell from my lips as I absent-mindedly stared back out the window, looking at that house next door.

"What's gotten into her?" I heard my brother ask.