Chapter Forty-Two

A/N:  Brace yourselves...

Tessa

It was hard to sleep that night with my adrenaline pumping after my last encounter with Levi. He knew all the right words to make me hot and ready. And fuck was I ready.

Everything that happened in the last two weeks between us seems like ancient history after the last couple of days. Last night, in particular, has me floating on cloud nine.

That kiss we shared brought back so many memories. Each one more steamy than the last. I tossed and turned that night until I finally passed out. When I did, I dreamed of Levi.

I woke up the next morning with a massive smile on my face that no one missed.

"What's got you in such a good mood this morning?" Charlotte asked, mirroring my smile with one of her own.

"It's my best friend's big day. Am I not allowed to be happy for her?"

She let out a dreamy sigh. "I can't believe it's finally here. My wedding day."

I wrapped my arms around her, pulling her in for a big hug. "I'm so happy for you, Char. You and Jason are perfect for each other."

Charlotte rested her head on mine as she hugged me back. "We really are, aren't we?"

Mrs. Rose bustled into the room. When her eyes landed on Charlotte, they became misty. "It's time to go, baby girl. They're ready for us to start your hair and makeup."

"Okay, mama. I just need to grab my bag, and I'll be ready. Tessa?"

I nodded. "My bag is ready to go."

Char's mom looked between us, swiping her eyes as she did.

"Oh, mama, don't cry. If you start crying, I'll cry," Charlotte said, grabbing her mother's hand.

"It's just, it seems like only yesterday you two were having sleepovers and braiding each other's hair," Mrs. Rose sniffled, "And now, you're about to be a married woman."

I felt tears prick my eyes as Charlotte embraced her mom. Before the waterworks could start, I turned away, busying myself with gathering our things to keep them at bay.

This was a huge day for my best friend, and I couldn't have been happier for her.

~

Several hours later, the bridal party was polished and ready to go. Char's mom hired a team to come in and do hair and makeup for the big day. They made us all look incredible, especially Charlotte.

She was always beautiful, but today, she had an extra glow about her. Happiness will do that, I suppose. In any case, she was stunning, even more so than usual.

Jason will not know what hit him when she walks through those doors.

I was right, of course. When the bridal march started, and the doors at the back of the building swung open, revealing Charlotte in her wedding dress, my brother was awestruck. His jaw fell open, and his eyes misted over. He was over the moon as Charlotte's dad walked her down the aisle and into J's arms.

I'd like to say I held it together, that I didn't cry, but I did. Not even the view of Levi in a tux was enough to distract me from the beauty of seeing Char and Jason tie the knot. And that's saying something because Levi in a tux...