Chapter Twenty-Nine

Tessa

Char, Jason, Colin, Micah, Leah, and Landon were already gone by the time I got dressed and ready for my night with Levi. I don't know what to call it, really. Is this a date? I'm not sure. He didn't call it a date, but this definitely feels like one.

I'm nervous and excited about what this evening will bring. It feels like I've waited my whole life to have a night like this with Levi, and here it is finally happening. I feel like I could scream; I'm so pumped.

I smooth out the front of my dress as I head toward the living room. I can already smell something delicious. I had no idea Levi could cook.

The scent has my mouth watering as I slowly pace toward the man I've fantasized about for years. He's standing at the stove, finishing up what looks like steak and vegetables, and fuck does it smell delicious. The lights are dim, and he has the table set for two, complete with candles and two glasses of wine.

If I weren't already in love with him, this would definitely tip the scale in his favor. Wow, I can't believe I just thought that.

Okay, maybe I can. I mean, everyone pretty much knows it already. I've always loved Levi. He's always been my friend, my protector, my knight in shining armor. Of course, I'm in love with him. He's hard not to fall in love with. And from his behavior this week, I'm starting to think he may feel the same about me.

I hope he does.

Levi peers up at me as he puts the finishing touches on our meal. I watch as his eyes rake over my outfit, moving slowly, hungrily, as he admires the way this dress hugs my curves. I can't help but smile at the way he's looking at me like he wants to devour me right here on the counter. It sends shivers down my spine.

When his eyes trace back to reach my own, he clears his throat. "Dinner's ready."

"It smells amazing, Levi," I tell him as he delivers our plates to the table.

As I reach my chair, Levi pulls it back, offering me my seat. "My lady," he says with a grin and a dramatic bow.

A chuckle bubbles inside me as he pushes my chair back in for me. "I didn't know I was dining with a real gentleman tonight."

Levi, placing a hand over his heart, replies, "I will always be a gentleman for you, Tessa."

"Except when you're tossing me off rafts or tickle torturing me," I interject.

He sends me a sheepish grin. "Except for those times. But in all others, I will be the perfect gentleman."

I hope that doesn't include the bedroom.

I smile to myself at the dirty thoughts that start drifting through my head. That's when I notice a shift in Levi's demeanor. He's gripping his fork with so much force that his knuckles are turning white. And I see when I chance a look at his face that his eyes are hooded over, and he's staring me down like a man possessed.

The look in his eyes is primal, almost as if he heard my thoughts and wants nothing more than to show me just how ungentlemanly he can be between the sheets.

Oh shit!

He did hear me, didn't he? I actually said that out loud.

My eyes widen as the realization hits me. I'm so embarrassed. I can't bring myself to meet his gaze any longer, so I focus on the meal in front of me.