Chapter 7

The sound of the truck door wakes me. I shift as Egan grabs me out of my seat and into his arms.

I yawn, but don't protest being carried in from the garage.

Once we are inside, he gently puts me back on my feet and I begin to make my way upstairs.

Since I already got ready for bed at Pierson's I head straight for Egan's bed, but before I can climb in Egan is in front of me with his arms crossed.

"I'm tired," I complain.

"Then talk fast," he smirks. I narrow my eyes at him. Egan looks like a model standing in front of me.

The way his arms are crossed make his muscles look massive. He looks tan. Was he this tan earlier? I must not have noticed, but now he's wearing a black short sleeve shirt. The fabric clings to him and is complementing his new skin tone.

"You're tan," I say instead of giving him the information he wants.

He chuckles and then pulls me down on the bed with him. He sits across from me on the bed and waits for moment.

"Can we just go to bed, please?" I say while drawing out please.

"How about, one question, then we can go to bed," he suggests.

"Okay," I agree.

"Why did you feel panicked by Pierson?" he asks.

"I wanted to leave and he was trying to stop us," I say.

"No, before that," he pushes.

"I don't know," I reply, I'm too tired to take a deep dive into my emotions.

"What made you text me?" he redirects.

"Sorry you said one question," I reply rolling onto my side of the bed and laying down.

"Tell me Kaydence," he urges. My entire body tenses at the way Kaydence rolls off his tongue. I squeeze my eyes shut, but it doesn't stop me from hearing him.

Kaydence. Kaydence! KAYDENCE! His voice surrounds my thoughts. I squeeze my eyes tighter and hold my breath.

Egan's arm is rolling me onto my back and I grab his arm with my hand. I open my eyes and look into his concerned ones.

"I just want to sleep," I say in defeat.

He nods.

"Kayde, is your full name triggering to you?" he asks. I groan and close my eyes again.

One question my ass.

"Just hear me out," he chuckles.

I open my eyes and give him my attention.

"Pierson only uses your full name, maybe that's why you don't feel as connected to him," he suggests.

I weigh that idea in my mind and he may be onto something.

"Pierson's not like you," I reply.

He raises his eyebrows to tell me to continue.

"Besides it's more of the tone not the name," I dismiss.

"The tone," he repeats.

"Why do you care so much about my relationship with Pierson? Aren't you two kind of like enemies or something," I say in an attempt to flip the questions back on him.

"We don't see eye to eye on a lot of things, but we aren't enemies," he chuckles after he says the word 'enemies,' like it's a ridiculous idea.

"Well, you're after the same girl," I smile.