Chapter 19

Only one police officer comes to the house to get a statement. Two medical personnel roll his body to the ambulance on a stretcher. He's in a body bag.

I've been sitting at the counter observing the scene in front of me, but barely listening to the conversation.

I take another sip of my coffee, its cold.

I take my mug to the microwave to warm up it again. I think this is my third time heating up the same mug of coffee.

I watch the mug spin around in the microwave. It's only 8:00 in the morning.

"We will contact the family and what they do with the information is out of our hands," the officer tells Pierson.

Egan comes up behind me and wraps his arms around my waist. He rests his chin on my shoulder.

"Are you okay?" he asks.

"Yes," I whisper, not taking my eyes off the microwave.

Egan spins me around to face him.

"It's okay if you're not," he gently tells me.

"But I am," I reply. I've processed most of the previous night.

Noah's dead.

My dad is dead.

My mom tries to call me every day.

I am in a love triangle with two alphas.

That's my current reality.

"Okay," he agrees in an unconvincing way. The microwave's BEEP tears me away from him as I remove my coffee from the microwave.

I sit back down at the counter and wrap my hands around the mug.

I hear Pierson walk the officer out and the front door open and then click shut.

"Can one of you take me to lecture?" I ask while when Pierson is back in the kitchen.

They both stare at me like I have a screw loose in my head.

I stare back blankly.

I want to see Keelie and I need to study if I want to graduate in two months.

"Kay, let's stay here, we can help you with the material," Pierson offers.

"No," I instantly decline while standing up. "I'll go get my backpack," I add.

I walk upstairs and up to Egan's room where I left it. I grab it and swing it over my shoulder and head back downstairs.

"Egan?" I ask expectantly when I reach the bottom of the stairs.

His caramel eyes meet mine and he holds out his hand. I take it, and he leads me back into the kitchen.

"We're going to head out," Egan tells Pierson.

"I'll be in Starlight, text me the plan for this week," Pierson says while walking over to us.

He grabs into a hug making me drop my hand from Egan's. He kisses the top of my head and whispers, "Love you," into my hair while squeezing me.

"Love you too," I say against his chest.

Egan and I follow him out to the driveway and I wave to him before getting into the truck. Egan climbs into the passenger seat and stiffly throws the truck in reverse.

"Ready?" he asks.

"Ready," I repeat while nodding.

Egan is quietly driving down the road making me send a nervous glance his way.