Chapter 17

When we make it back to the basement, I coil away at the sight of Noah's lifeless body still laying on the concrete.

Grey notices and shields me from seeing him.

"What the hell Kai?" Grey growls.

"He was a threat to Kaydence," Kai responds.

"It's still a human life," he says disapprovingly.

We walk up the basement stairs, but when they try to open the door, it doesn't move.

"Who is there?" a voice calls.

"It's me Sky," Kai calls back.

The door swings open and Sky growls at the scene in front of him.

Kai holds up his hand in order to stop his reaction from going further.

"We all need to talk," he explains.

"Is that him?" I hear Pierson demand.

"Come in," Sky welcomes while opening the door further.

One by one we enter the doorway. The other rouges and Egan and Pierson are all back in human form. They are standing around what's left of the kitchen.

"Thank you, Grey," Egan sighs in relief when he sees me.

"My pleasure. Although she can handle herself," he adds.

Egan swiftly moves to me and grabs me into a bone crushing hug.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt? Where's Noah?" he starts firing off questions.

"You're dead," Pierson growls and advances towards Kai.

"Pierson, if you won't listen to me listen to her," Kai calmly suggests.

"You kidnap the future Luna and expect me to hear you out," he roars.

"Not me, her," he says again while looking at me.

"What's he talking about?" Pierson demands while walking over to me. He briefly hugs me and then holds my face in his hands.

"Kai and I had an idea," I start to say.

"Whatever it is, no," he looks at Kai when he says it. The other rouges snarl making Grey and the others turn to them in defense.

I notice Rhett and Rowan are standing in front of them now.

"Pier," I demand. He brings his eyes back to me.

"We all need to talk," I state.

"Let's listen to what she has to say," Egan breaks in.

I walk to the entryway of the kitchen and look at Kai. He nods his head in encouragement.

"First, Noah's dead," I say.

"His body is in the basement and someone should probably figure that out. Second," I say before anyone can interrupt, "While Kai and I were underground I told him I would help him."

I pause as growls erupt throughout the Moonlight pack members.

"Help him how?" Egan asks while holding his hand up to silence the uproar.

"The program needs to change," I start.

"The program needs to be discontinued," a former Starlight member cuts in, earning him a glare from Pierson.

"Look, people shouldn't have to flee the country because they have a mate. It hurts them and it hurts all of you," I cut back to the point while making eye contact with the one who just interrupted.

"Kai and I were discussing a new program," I continue. "One where I, and possibly other human mates, could help debunk the myths about werewolves and mates. If they were willing to do that of course, but the point is they could be offered a trial period, like what I'm currently doing," I explain.

"How long is a trial period?" Grey asks in fascination.

"We didn't really plan that yet. The main idea is that they will not be offered the escape route until they have completed the trial. In theory, they wouldn't really need the escape route because after the trial period is over the werewolf would have to accept the mate's decision and let them live a mate-free life without contact," I tell them.

Everyone's letting this information sink in. I look over at Kai who gives me a silent round of applause.

"What about the mates that already escaped?" Sky asks.

"I would be willing to talk to them, but you can't kidnap them back that's not the right way to win them over. Alivia for example is a good candidate," I say while gesturing to Kai.

"How do you know that?" Sky asks.

"She already regrets her decision on leaving," I say.

"There have been a few who have used the escape routes who want to come back," Grey informs.

"Like who?" Sky pipes up.

"Names will not be released at this time," Egan cuts off while sending a warning glance to Grey. "This is actually a solid plan," Egan adds while looking at me in admiration. It makes me squirm.

"So do we all agree that taking over Canada or, whatever the hell was about to happen, is not the way of going about this?" I ask while putting my hands on my hips and surveying the room.

A few of Starlight's former members hang their heads in shame.

"Alpha Pierson, I am sorry for involving Kaydence. I don't apologize for killing Noah, that was well deserved," Kai comments.

"If you all want back in the pack you know what you have to do," Pierson replies. They nod and one by one file out of the room.

Everyone disperses until it's just Pierson, Egan, and I left standing in the kitchen.

I look from green eyes to brown eyes and wait for one of them to say something.

Neither of them does, they're speechless, that's a first.

"Can one of you please say something?" I ask.

They look at each other and then back to me.

"What the hell happened?" Pierson states as if it's obvious.

"I went downstairs to try to find a way out and Noah was down there. Kai came from behind me and I was trapped. Then Kai snapped his neck," I say while cringing.

I can still hear the sound.

"He's really dead," I say while putting my hands on my knees.

"Is he going to go to jail? This is a crime scene," I panic while fully sitting on the kitchen floor.

"Breathe Kayde," Egan tells me while sitting next me. He wraps an arm around me and I bury my face into him. I feel Pierson come sit on the other side of me.

"I'm sorry you had to see that," Egan whispers while kissing my head. "But I'm so proud of you. You amaze me every day. You are so smart and so loved," he continues.

"Thanks, E," I mumble against his sweatshirt.

I look up to really survey the kitchen and living room now. There's glass everywhere, blood, and the kitchen table is broken.

"It's a mess in here," I lightly laugh.

"Yeah, we'll bill Starlight for the damage," Egan lowly chuckles while sending an amused look over my head to Pierson.

Pierson lowly chuckles and shrugs his shoulders in silent agreement.

_______________________________________________________

Kaydence's plan?

Kai?

Noah?

Much Love,

A.Lynn