Chapter 8

I hear a soft knock on the door and realize I fell back asleep. The events of the night come crashing back into my memory. The rouges.

"Kayde, it's us, we're coming in," I hear Egan call. He didn't have to announce it, I can feel his and Pierson's opposing energies through the door.

I sit up and rub my eyes.

"What happened?" I ask.

Egan turns the lamp on making me squint to make out him and Pierson entering the room and sitting on the edge of the bed.

I crawl over so I am sitting between them.

"It seems that Kai and some others have formed a rouge pack," Egan explains.

"Other werewolves that lost their mate to the program?" I guess.

"Exactly," Egan slowly replies.

"Kaydence is this what made you feel upset earlier?" Pierson questions.

"It must have been," I shrug.

"How did you know Kai was planning something?" Pierson pushes.

"I didn't," I say defensively. "I just felt like he wasn't going to let it go, like something was brewing," I go on.

"I should have believed you," he intensely states while resting his hand on my knee. A little jolt of electricity runs through my knee and up my leg. Before I can respond a low growl rips from Egan's throat.

"What do you mean?" Egan questions, his voice is murderous as he glares at Pierson.

I shift away from Egan; I've never seen his caramel eyes hold such a stare, it's animalistic. I shift away from him and slide off the bed. My breathing becomes heavy as I watch them stare off for a moment.

MUTATIONS, his voice booms in my head, making me cringe.

"She voiced this to you and you ignored her," Egan yells while standing up so fast it makes me step back. My back slams into the closet doors.

"I thought I had it handled," Pierson matches his energy by standing up. They are chest to chest, both fuming in a rage.

"She could have been hurt tonight," Egan screams.

"Yes, she could have been, by the werewolves seeking revenge on you and your escape tunnels," Pierson hisses.

My head is moving back and forth between the two. I am frozen in place. This is dangerous. All of it.

I somehow manage to remember how to work my legs and I bolt for the bedroom door.

Before I can get out, I am being pulled back by Pierson. He wraps his arm around me and kicks the door shut with his foot.

"Pierson, let go," I demand. He spins me around and pushes me against the door.

I cringe away from him.

"She's terrified, get off of her," Egan warns.

Pierson pushes away from the door, but remains in front of me.

"You'll be safe with me Kaydence, out of Moonlight territory," Pierson insists.

"Kayde you're safe here too, I won't let anything happen to you," Egan chimes in while advancing towards us.

"I want to go home," I whisper.

Egan stands next to Pierson and they glance over at each other.

"I'm going home," I say louder while turning around and pulling the door open. My hands are shaking. My legs feel like they are going to give out. The adrenaline floating around this house is suffocating.

I hear them lowly debating behind me as I make my way towards the stairs.

In less than half a second Egan is blocking the stairway, successfully preventing me from descending the staircase.

I sigh in annoyance and roll my eyes. I need to get out of here.

The hall light flicks on and I hear Pierson walking towards us. His presence is getting closer and closer until he is right behind me. I cross my arms over my chest.

The atmosphere is thick with silence, daring for someone to speak the first word.

"You have to choose Kayde. Do you want to stay or go with Pierson?" Egan's voice finally breaks through the thick air.

I'm about to resist, I glare my eyes at Egan.

"Going home's not an option right now. You will be safe in pack territory," Pierson adds in from behind me.

"We just agreed this morning that I would have the ability to choose," my voice is low, tears of anger are almost breaking through.

"That was before the rouges. They are dangerous Kayde. There were six of them that we counted. Six wolves that want revenge, you would be a target for them and it's my fault," Egan's voice cracks at the end and he looks down. He takes in a deep breath and looks over my shoulder at Pierson, "Take her Pierson, keep her safe," he adds while ripping his shirt off and racing down the stairs and out the door.

I'm frozen in place. I hear a howl and then silence.

"Egan," I whisper as the dam breaks and the tears spill out of my eyes.

"Come on Kaydence," Pierson cautiously nudges me while taking my hand and leading me down the stairs.

"No, stop," I sob, "don't touch me," I panic. My tears are hot and my mouth tastes like salt.

Pierson leans down and gently presses his shoulder to my stomach before lifting me up. I'm over his shoulder and can barely put up a fight in my current state.

"EGAN," I scream.

Pierson sits me in the Jeep and places both his hands on either side of my face. I cringe, but he firmly holds my face and uses his thumb to wipe the continuous flow of tears.

"Breathe," Pierson whispers. "He went to track. We lost them before, but he won't give up. They are rouges now so they can't get back into Starlight, you will be safe," he assures.

I nod. Maybe if I nod, he'll get in the driver's side. I close my eyes so I don't have to look at him. I don't want to see either of them at the moment.

His hands lift off of my face and the door shuts. I open my eyes and crawl to the back seat.

Pierson opens the door and gives me a questionable look.

"I need space, this is as good as we can do right now," I tell him while taking the handle and shutting it.

Oddly enough, he actually looks amused as he climbs into the driver's seat.

______________________________

Predictions? ;)

Much Love,

A.Lynn