Chapter 3 The Best-Laid Plans

The gunshot reverberated through a tight space and echoed from the metal pipes covering the low ceiling. The angry red lightened the end of the revolver for a second, but sparks didn't spread anywhere else. Vash's body fell on its back with a dull thud, and a red hole bloomed between his eyes like a bloody flower.

"What the heck, Celia?" Theo shouted.

"I gave him time to make the right choice. He didn't," Celia replied calmly, putting her revolver back in the holster.

"But you didn't have to kill him!" Theo's freckled face was flushed red, and his brows knitted, making two deep wrinkles on his forehead. "You could... I don't know, knock him off and close in some basement until he'd see reason."

"Vash was Chief's snitch, Theo. There was no way I would make him keep his silence. The little shit would only try to demand more and more money we don't have." Celia put two fingers into her mouth and whistled once, and then she kneeled at the body and proceeded to check Vash's pockets. "I tried to get him on our side. Believe me, I did. But he was too stubborn. Why do you care? You never liked him."

Theo crossed his arms, still glaring at her. "Fine, maybe he was a pain in the arse, and there was no better way to solve this. But pulling a gun here, of all places? What if you missed? One stray bullet could blow us to bloody pieces!"

Celia scoffed and got back to her feet. "I do not miss."

Before Theo could respond, the horrible shriek and flutter of wings broke the silence.

"Man down! Man down!" A big blue and gold parrot landed on Celia's outstretched arm, eyeing the body curiously. The bird wore a little captain hat on its head and had a leather harness fastened on its body so it could easily carry messages or other little items if needed.

"Man down, indeed, Sir Prancer." Celia stroked the parrot's feathers with a gentle smile and then produced a handful of nuts from her pocket, which the bird enthusiastically pecked, careful not to scratch his mistress. "I need you to fetch Zed for me."

The parrot gulped the last nut and jumped into the air again, shrieking, "Man down! Big Zed! Man down!"

"Way to announce the crime. Just send the screaming bird out to the world." Theo rolled his eyes.

"Not to the whole world. There's no one except our people in the cave now. And I need Zed to get rid of the body. Unless you'd like to do that?" she asked with a sweet smile.

"No thanks. I'm not cleaning your mess. Speaking of. Weren't you supposed to report to Chief together with Vash? What would you say?"

Celia shrugged. "Vash was a gambler. Everyone knows that. And he had tons of debts. I guess some of his debtors finally lost their patience."

"I wish lying wouldn't come so easy to you," Theo said quietly.

Celia turned to him and saw what she hated the most.

Pity.

Her friend pitied her for what she had to become. For the choices she was forced to make to keep the crew safe and prospering. For the miserable life she was leading.

And Celia hated when other people pitied her. They had no right to do that.

"And I wish our world were all kittens and rainbows, yet it is not," she replied, glaring at him. "Stop wasting your time and get those crystals working. When I come back, I need Percy ready to fly."

Heavy footsteps made the deck under their feet vibrate slightly, announcing Zed's arrival.

"The Feathered Friend said you need me, boss?" he asked, looking at the body at his feet. "Oh. I see."