Chapter 19 I Won't Say I'm in Love

"I don't like it," Theo said, crossing his arms and leaning on the doorframe of Celia's room in the inn.

"So you said," she replied with a sigh, tilting her head as Lyra was doing some complicated things with her hair. "A half dozen times if my math is correct."

"And I'll say it another dozen times if it gets you to listen."

"Theo, just drop it. We've discussed it already, and we all agreed that it's important I start showing myself at fancy parties to get more nobles interested in our ventures and get precious investment money."

"And the hair is done," Lyra said, making a theatrical gesture at her masterpiece.

Celia turned her head, admiring her new look in a vanity mirror. She couldn't argue it looked gorgeous. It wasn't her way to pay much attention to her hair, Celia usually just braided it to keep it out of the way, but Lyra, the woman of many talents, was not only gifted in working with machinery but also with looks. She was invaluable whenever they made a con that needed any disguises.

This look was a disguise too. Celia had to look the part to fit in the fancy noble party on the topmost level of Iron Shore, so her casual attire wouldn't do. Even though Gabriel provided her with a dress and jewellery, hair and makeup were an essential part of the costume. Her dark brown hair was now artfully pinned and styled on her head, leaving her neck and ears exposed, with only a few curled strands around her face.

"Now, your face." Lyra prompted her to turn towards her again, a brush already in her hand.

"I understand the funding arguments," Theo started again. "But the timing is all wrong. Do I have to remind you that you have bloodshedders after you? What is the most convenient location to strike than a party full of people? Are you going to walk into that recklessly?"

Celia turned her eyes towards him, unable to move her face with her chin in Lyra's firm grasp. She knew him well enough to sense the annoyance in his voice, so she didn't even have to look at him to know he was upset.

"What is better, Theo? Expected ambush or surprise attack in a random location?"

He scoffed. "You can't be serious."

"I am." Celia stretched her neck as Lyra momentarily let go of her face and busied herself with mixing different cosmetics in small jars. "Do you think I'll dance in carelessly, drink booze and make new friends? You know me better than this," she said in a dry tone glaring at him. "Bloodshedders are unpredictable. They are a variable that is hard to plan for. But, as you said, they surely wouldn't miss the occasion to strike on such a tempting occasion. We all know most assassinations take place in crowded places."

"Then why are you insisting on putting yourself out there?"

"Because if I expect it, I can plan accordingly. I may look pretty and fragile, but I'm not going there unarmed. Zed will be with me at all times, and Gabriel will also provide additional guards to keep an eye on us."

"Of course he will," Theo said bitterly.

Lyra giggled and started applying makeup around Celia's eyes. She waited patiently for her friend to finish before turning to Theo again. "This is the safest situation I could create to lure bloodshedders out. If they strike when we are on the mission or during the assault on the Plunderers' new hideout, I will be in real trouble. I can't leave this encounter to chance. I would appreciate it if you drop it if you have nothing constructive to add besides grumbling."

"I'm not grumbling," Theo scoffed. "I'm pointing out that maybe you trust this Gabriel guy too soon. There is something fishy about how he's going out of his way to help you. Not only he paid for all Percy's repairs and kept us off the Law Enforcement radar, but now this?" He gestured at the beautiful, expensive-looking dress hanging on the door. "Did you ask yourself where the catch is, Celia?"