Chapter 1

The police surrounded the restaurant and were keeping the curious people away. Not that there are that many people outside at almost 1:00 o'clock in the morning. God knows that I would like to be at home right now, maybe taking a hot bath, or maybe just laying in bed and drinking a glass of wine. I should take a bottle of wine with me when I get home. Actually...

Looking around at the cops around me, from the table that I was sitting at, and making sure that no one was coming to ask me any more questions, I sat up and went to the bar. In less than 5 seconds I found my favorite bottle of wine, opened it and poured it into a glass, while checking that the cops were too busy to notice me. Not that they would say anything, it's my restaurant anyway and they stress me way too much than I will admit anyway, even if they keep telling me to stay calm and all that shit.

The first sip felt like heaven on my taste buds. So good!

When half of the glass was empty, one of the cops came looking for me, then he saw me behind the bar and made a beeline to me.

"Miss Lancaster, you are the owner of the restaurant."

That wasn't a question, so I didn't say anything but looked at him. After a few seconds of awkward silence for the man in front of me, he continued.

"Where were you between 10 and 11 pm yesterday?"

Oh, so it's already yesterday for him. So precise. I almost told him that is none of his fucking business, but stopped myself just in time. That made me smile inside, I was a little curious what would happen after I finished the glass of wine. Will I still be able to filter some stuff, or will my brain be too slow for my mouth?

"I already told your colleagues. If there are more of you that want to ask me the same questions, can you all come here so I can answer you all at once?"

Nope. Bye-bye filter. It seems that I don't need a glass of wine, half was enough. When I realized how rude I was to the cop, I smiled. Or tried to and then stopped and frowned while trying to stop the giggle that was coming. The man was just looking at me, maybe incriminating me for the shit that happened in front of my restaurant and then moved inside. The good thing was that the restaurant was closed for the last 2 days. Or maybe that was the best part. I kept wondering if this wouldn't have happened if it were open. And at the same time I was relieved that no one was here to get hurt. And angry that two idiots with guns were chasing a third one and decided to kill him in front of my restaurant while destroying some windows too.

What wasn't clear for the police was why they couldn't find the body of the dead person and also why there was so much blood inside the restaurant. That made me wonder too. And also the fact that the recordings on the cameras were missing. And the police, of course, are thinking that I have something to do with all the shit. I wonder if there were actually more than one person that died?

"Miss Lancaster, I am detective Parker and would be great if you would answer my questions so we find out what happened here. I know it's late, but we are doing our jobs and would prefer if you would cooperate." the detective's words woke me up from my super fast trying to figure out what the fuck just happened here thoughts and by his stern tone, I just decided that I didn't care what he thinks of me or even if he is going to send me to jail. So, I lifted my glass of wine, and took one good sip from it, before turning my attention to him and smiling.

"I was home, getting ready for a date and some really mind blowing sex when I received the call from the police. The doorman can confirm, and I am sure that the cameras in the building are working well."

The fucker was just standing there and judging me with his eyes. Maybe I could convince him to continue this interrogation another time, while still I had some brain left.

"And why was the restaurant closed?" he continued, while taking some notes in his notebook. Or maybe just doodling.

"Because we had no water for the past two days and I don't want to torture my staff." when he frowned, I continued "as you can see, this is a restaurant and we use a lot of water.

He was writing something else and I took another sip of wine. Oh that still tastes like heaven. And then I realized that I closed my eyes while smiling and enjoying the wine, and the detective was looking at me half annoyed and half amused.

"Would you like some? You can drink it when you get home. It's really good!" I asked him with a smile.

"No thank you. Maybe another time"

I shrugged and finished the glass of wine while pondering if it would be a good idea to pour another one now or when I get home.

"Other questions for now?" I asked detective Parker as nicely as I could manage.

"We will finish here and will contact you for more questions in the next few days. Please don't leave the town."

"Well, then can I go home now? You can finish your stuff here and Harry and Jim will stay until morning when someone will come to... repair the windows." I said as I waved my hand towards the shattered windows. I had enough wine for my brain to forget how to speak.

When all he did was nod, I took the bottle of wine in one hand, my purse in another and went towards the parking lot. I felt the detective's gaze following me all the way to my car and I knew that he was looking at a way to just arrest me for something. He seemed convinced that I had something to do with what happened there, and when I opened the door on the back seat of the car and hopped inside, I turned my gaze towards the restaurant entrance where he was, looking in my direction. He seemed a little sad that he didn't get a change to lock me up for drinking and driving.

"Are you ok?" Arvin, my driver asked me, while turning on the engine and getting away from the restaurant.

"Yep!" I answered as I took a gulp of wine directly from the bottle. "I'm great!"

And I wasn't lying. I felt fucking amazing and grateful that I was on my way home with a bottle of good wine. I wasn't going to start worrying. I was too tired anyway. And also planning to find out who the fuck decided to fuck with me and my restaurant. But that is for tomorrow. Now it's me, wine and probably my bed. Being around so many cops and a crime scene can totally suck the life out of a person.