Chapter 10

When I woke up it was still dark outside. And there was so much silence around when everyone else was sleeping. Stretching and turning in bed, the bonsai that was sitting on the bedside caught my attention. Fortunately it seemed to be doing fine, not like my other plants who were either dead or dying.

"Good morning, tiny tree!" My voice was hoarse and my throat dry, but feeling too lazy to get out of the bed to grab a glass of water, I just ignored it. "What do you know about magic?"

Feeling a warmth spreading from my chest through my whole body, I closed my eyes and allowed myself to relax and then fall asleep.

Waking up again when it was light outside, I was feeling great! Jumping out of the bed, I turned on the music and prepared for the day while singing and dancing. If Tom Goldman himself came to my door to do some more of his voodoo glowing eyes, I would probably hug him and kiss him on both cheeks. C'mon vampires, do your best! I'm ready. I am more than ready!

After calling Stephanie to check if she required my presence at the restaurant and receiving a big "No, I got everything handled", I called Kevin a few times, until he finally answered, breathing heavily.

"Hi Jen! What's up?"

"Are you on the treadmill or were you in the middle of hard core sex and I interrupted it?"

"If I was having sex, I wouldnt't have answered. Period. "

Yeah, it makes sense.

"I'm just jogging. But if you require some sexual healing, baby, just tell me and I'll come."

"As tempting as it sounds, I called you with other plans. Are you free in the next couple of hours?" then, just to be sure that he understood what I was saying and not thinking about sex, I continued. "It's not sex. But it's gonna be fun."

"Sure."

"Great! I'll pick you up in one hour, ok?"

"Ok. Where are we going?"

Not saying more, I told him to be ready and that it's a surprise. After ending the call, I started thinking if by surprise he would think that I mean sex and almost called him back, then changed my mind.

Then, changing my mind again, I texted Kevin telling him to be ready for a hike. He answered immediately with You're crazy! Followed by Fine. So, thirty minutes later, I was entering the elevator, on my way to my car, when the doors opened, revealing Steven dressed up in his cop clothes.

"Hi!" I greeted him with a smile.

"Hi!" He smiled at me and got inside the elevator. "You look great today! Are you going to the restaurant?"

"Thank you!" Feeling great and letting my smile grow, I was pondering if I should tell him that I wasn't going to the restaurant. "Yes! I'm so happy that it's all cleaned up now and I was actually talking with Steph to change some stuff there too. You know, to give it a fresh look."

"That is great!"

The elevator doors opened, and I got out and went to my car, waving Steven goodbye and not bothering with other small chat. Was I still a little pissed off? Yes, yes I was.

Suddenly I started feeling my body tingling and everything became brighter, like there were three bright suns in the parking lot and I had to put my hands on the car to support my body while my vision blurred until I couldn't see anymore. Thankfully I didn't faint and my vision returned after a few seconds.

Getting inside the car, I allowed myself to scan the parking lot around. Everything was still very bright and I had to close my eyes and open them again a few times. My body was buzzing. Actually, it felt like everything around me was buzzing. The buildings, the cars.