Chapter 4

"You're early!" Detective Parker told us as soon as he saw us, his face looking like he had a lemon in his mouth. I guess his everyday mantra was When life gives you lemons, eat them all and then blame other people for that.

Chris and Steven invited me to the interview room, while I was making a mental note to buy some fruits and vegetables before I got home. Mmm, some fresh juice...

"Wait here, I'll be right back" Chris told me before he closed the door and left me alone in the sad looking interview room.

Standing between the door and the closest chair I was pondering whether to either sit down and wait for Chris and the detective to come, or just open the door and wait outside just because the room that I was in was depressing. I chose to open the door, as soon as I did, I heard voices close by so I didn't fully open it and just listened.

"... and you will let her go because she is innocent. And you will say sorry to her." I heard Chris's voice. Or was that Steven?

"I will let her go and say sorry to her..." that definitely was detective Parker, but he sounded weird, like he didn't have the lemon in his mouth anymore.

"Now let's go inside the interview room and be over with this"

As soon as I heard about the room, I closed the door without any noise and sat on the nearest chair, when the door opened and the two men stepped inside. Chris smiled at me and I did my best to smile back, but what I managed was a grimace.

"Everything will be fine" he told me, trying to make me feel better and I congratulated myself that he believed that I was freaked out about the whole restaurant and murder thing and not by the conversation I just heard that I already created ten different movies in my head and they were becoming weirder and weirder.

"Miss Lancaster" the detective cleared his throat "our investigation concluded that what happened at your restaurant was nothing but a bad joke. I am sorry for the inconvenience that this created."

He seemed to read the confusion on my face, and after clearing his throat again he continued.

"We discovered that all the blood was fake and part of a prank that got out of control."

"Oh! So everything is alright then?" exhaling I allowed my body to relax and I smiled. "That's such good news!"

"Yes, and you will receive compensation to cover the repairs to your restaurant." Chris continued, smiling at me.

"Really? That's... thank you!" I told both of them and smiled. "So, can I go then? I've been so stressed all day and I am looking forward to a hot batch, a bottle of wine and a good book" I was looking at detective Parker for a reaction, but he didn't say anything, looking more as if he didn't even remember that I was drinking wine last night during our interview. And as I didn't want to be locked away just for that, I just shut up.

"Yes, Miss Lancaster, you are free to go. Thank you for your cooperation and I am sorry again for all the trouble."

All I managed was a smile, before I got up and went to the front door with Chris right behind me, his brother waiting there for us, with a smile on his face.

"Told you everything will be fine! I just heard that there was a problem with the blood results and it actually was fake!"

"Thank you! Both of you!" I looked at the two brothers and smiled. "I'm going home now before Detective Spider-Man changes his mind and decides to charge me for being too happy or something like that!"

"We still have some paperwork to do, but let me know if you want someone to drive you home..."

"It's ok Steven, I'm more than fine. I'm great! Everything is great! I might have a party and you both will be invited. Not sure when. But thank you for everything!"