Chapter 7

Her face paled and she looked shocked at me. But she put herself together, and then apologizing with his eyes she started talking. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner. I really hoped this wouldn't be a problem, but then the restaurant got involved and everything went sideways and..."

She looked like she might start crying and I was wondering if this would be a good time to call an ambulance. Or the people in white coats. Fuck, if they came for her, maybe they will take me too because I almost started believing that Stephanie knew more about wolfs and people with glowing eyes. So I did the best thing I could do and I kept my mouth shut and just looked at her. That made her continue talking.

"I am a werewolf, but I'm sure you already know from your vampire friends. I knew that sooner or later they will find out that you are different too, but you don't smell like them. You don;t smell like a werewolf either. But I thought I can keep my work life separate from my, you know, wolf part. But when those two vampires attacked one of my wolf friends and tried to kill him, I came here to help him get away, then went after those two and attacked them but they were too strong so I ran away. My friend got attacked here just because of me. I told him to meet me here. I'm sorry. Do you know who those two vampires are? I think that lord Goldman already knows and maybe told your friends. Did they tell you anything?"

She finally looked at me, but I didn't say anything. I just took a sip from my coffee that was already cold and then looked at her. Yep, I could play this game!

"Not much. They don't know yet who the two vampires are. But they did the glowing eye thing on the detective that was on this case so he stopped trying to make me guilty of all that happened here just because it was my restaurant."

"Yeah" she nodded. "He's a wanker. And the eye glowing thing is called compelling. I am kind of envious that they can do that and werewolves can't."

"So what can werewolves do?"

"Well, obviously turning into a wolf whenever we want to, we are very strong, heal very fast and have a very good sense of smell. And also hearing."

Good to know.

"How is your friend? Is he ok?"

"Yes, he is fine now. He is healing very fast."

I was happy that her friend was fine and smiled at her. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to ask her if I could talk with him. Maybe next time.

"So, what other stuff do the vampires have? Besides the glowing eyes? I mean compelling?"

She started laughing and I relaxed and took another sip of my cold coffee.

"Well, just that they are strong too. As you might have noticed, they don't give their secrets away very easily." She shrugged and smiled at me.

"Yeah, fucking assholes!" I sighed, and Stephanie chuckled. She seemed to be agreeing with me on this. "You told me earlier that I don't smell like them. What do I smell like? I mean, you know..." I just chose to stop talking and she laughed some more.

"I am not sure. Sorry. But you definitely are not human."

That wasn't very helpful.

"Stephanie? Can I ask... and you can totally say no, but, would you like to show me your wolf form?" I did my best to smile but I was too embarrassed. Then she gave me a big smile.

"I thought you would never ask!" and then stood up, went into the middle of the office and started to take out her clothes.

I wasn't sure what to do next. Tell her to stop? Do my best to pretend that she looks like a wolf when she will be completely naked in front of me? Go out of the office to give her some privacy? But she didn't seem like she required privacy. So I chose to make myself busy with my coffee and my phone of course! When she was completely naked and put her clothes on the sofa in the corner, she cleared her throat and made me look at her instead of my phone. And then I saw how her body started to change and in just a few seconds there was a wolf, standing in the middle of the office. A big wolf. In the middle of the office. But she was beautiful. Still scary, but beautiful. Then I stood up and went next to her and started patting her on the head and scratching her chin. She seems to like it. It felt way less weird than it should and I was proud of myself.