✩ Chapter 4

"I want her married

"I want her married." Rehman declared. "Either this or I drag this in panchayat tomorrow and involve the whole village. Whatever the situation is, you are still my wife's father and I don't want to bring dirt to your name. Get her nikah done with Ajmal."

"Are you out of your mind?" Habib yelled. Closing his eyes to calm his anger. "You want my daughter to marry that Ajmal? He is mentally unstable and you want my capable daughter to marry him? Shukar karo ki tum mere beti ke shouhar ho, Rehman, warna ye khayal tumhare zehen me laane ke liye bhi me tumhari Jaan le leta."

(Be grateful you are my daughter's husband, or else I would have killed you for thinking this.)

"Usi ka to lehaz kar raha hu Habib sahab, warna abhi ye batein nahi ho rahi hoti." Rehman sneered.

(That's what I'm keeping in mind or else we wouldn't be talking here.)

"You have lost your sense of decision-making, Rehman. What you are suggesting is absurd. I'm against it too." Ahmed said siding with his best friend. "I know she made a mistake but that's no way to punish her."

Habib gritted his teeth, calming himself from lashing out at them. He wanted to neutralize things, yelling will only make it complicated.

"Tomorrow he is leaving, he will never be coming back here. End this here and forget it, Rehman, please." Habib tried, he was ready to beg if he had to. He wouldn't let anyone destroy his daughter's life.

"End this? Why? So that she can continue her acts? Never. She is a bad influence on women out in the village. No girl should be allowed to step out and you are sending her to college in the city and then you have kept your unmarried daughter at home. Do you want all others to follow her footsteps?"

"How much low do you think? I am amazed you are a father of a daughter yourself. I didn't know you had this level of mentality Rehman, I'm surprised." Habib chuckled mirthlessly, clutching his hair as he exhaled. "Let this go, Rehman. Let this matter go. You want her married, I will get her married in the next 6 months. Give me this much time but end this here for once and all."

"You have 12 hours." Rehman announced "That's how long I give you. Marry her off and I'll forget this ever happened."

"You are not making sense," Habib exclaimed. "How can I? That is...that is impossible."

"Habib" Ahmad held him from falling. "Calm down. Rehman, beta think wisely. What you want is impossible."

"It is not, Ajmal is always here if not him, anyone will take care as a second wife. You have the entire night to think about it but get her married for good." He snickered taking a step near Habib who stood with a crestfallen face. "I want her out in the next twelve hours. I don't care how you do, but the next 12 hours is all you have."

Habib fell on the settee, and Rehman slammed the door on his way out. Ahmad left behind him to knock some sense but it seemed futile.

"He is angry and not in his right mind, Habib. He is not serious. Do you understand? We will not let him ruin our daughter's future." Manizeh said walking out of the shadows. "I will not let him ruin it."

"We have 12 hours, Manizeh, that's how long we have." Habib teared looking away. "It is better this way, we send Azeen away or else he will ruin her and our family name. We can't let it happen."

"What are you saying, Habib? How can you marry her in 12 hours? It is impossible." Manizeh shook her head at the thought. It is impossible. "Whom will you marry her with? She is betrothed to none and no one I know is fit for my daughter. I will not let this happen."

"I will send her away from her, I will," Habib said determined, and stood up.

"Where are you going? Habib where will send her?" Manizeh followed her questioning.

"Haider, I will ask him to keep Azeen away from here. We will send her away." Habib was mumbling to himself when he missed the step and fell.

"Habib" Manizeh yelled, reaching him to support her.

"Abbu" Azeen run towards them.