Chapter 9

(Aurelia pov)

"Aurelia, can you help me with this?"

"Ok, what do you need?" I called out as I carefully walked down the stairs, making sure not to avoid stepping on Jamie's legos which he evilly left on the staircase. He was mad that I didn't take him to Mrs Grasscox's coffee shop, since he was in the mood for hot coco. That happened 4 days ago and it is in the middle of March.

The anniversary of my parents was creeping up on me. Reminders were everywhere. Hot chocolate was one of them. When we were little, Mum and Dad would take us to Mrs Grasscox's Sweet Delights and Drinks and on Christmas Eve, we'd get the signature hot chocolate, with extra whipped cream and drizzles of hot, sticky chocolate fudge sauce. 

Jamie didn't know the significance of it though, and never questioned why I would only drink it on one day in the year, when it was my favourite drink. I wasn't planning on telling him either, some things are better of being unknown. I'm supposed to protect him, not ruin his favourite thing.

...

(Alec)

I felt tears forming in my eyes. 

No.

...

I was lying face first on my bed. I couldn't believe it. They can't be dead. They can't. She was so  happy, she never mentioned it once. 

How could her pet dragons die!? Why. Why author. Why. I closed my laptop, and could barely hear the 'snap' of it clicking shut, the voice of my overwhelming thoughts were louder, and blocked any sound of reality.

I had just read a depressing story, it was about a pregnant vampire, and she kept on remarrying after her husbands died. She was infertile until she had two kids, and ever since them, she didn't remarry, even after the husband died. 

But she outlived her children. And the author didn't disclose the tragic news til the end. 

I was sad. 

To distract myself from the book I just read; I checked my phone, which had been charging while I was reading. Leon had replied, a minute after I turned off my phone. "She asked abt you 😏"

At first I couldn't believe it. Aurelia didn't care. But... maybe she did? If this was a prank, Leon shouldn't expect that he'd have both eyebrows for the rest of the year. 

"Ok I'm coming over". I sent him a quick reply, and he responded soon after with "brink snacks then, and tell the others to come" 

I replied with a simple "ok" and messaged the others to meet at Leon's. 

...

(Aurelia pov)

Mrs Grasscox was clearing out old clothes - again. Every time we went clothes shopping, she'd buy an entire closet's worth of clothing items, meaning that all the old outfits which we didn't wear anymore went to charity. The charity would collect the clothes in a few days from now, and by coincidence, Mrs Grasscox had went to the local mall a couple days ago. 

So together, we spent most of the afternoon weeding out all the clothes into a pile of the ones we were gonna keep, and the ones we were gonna donate. We put the clothes in a bag, and I was about to leave when Jamie came down wiping tears from his chubby cheeks. I had banned him from watching Ryan for a day - for his behaviour. 

I shook my head at how spoilt he was - if I started crying to Mrs Grasscox that I couldn't watch The Vampire Diaries, I'd get a weird look from her and a reservation for an therapist. But since Jamie was five, apparently 'He's just a boy' and I'm nearly an adult who 'needs to mature a little'.  Mrs Grasscox decided to make his favourite snack - green apple slices and Nutella, which normally always works to cheer him up, but this time it didn't. 

Closing the door behind me I shook my head once again. He knows if he cries too much I'll give in, and he was right. The groceries were near the charity shop anyway, so I could pop into them on the way 

...

I was in the sprinkle isle. I'd already gotten the hot chocolate, whipped cream and sauce; but was stuck at which sprinkles I should buy. There were so many options. There were chocolate shavings (my personal favourite), the original rainbow sprinkles, gold and silver star shaped ones, and some pretty pearly-looking yellow ones - which I'd never seen before. They looked like golden spheres, and glistened brightly, despite the dull, shop lights. It reminded me of Mom, she'd always wear this golden pearl necklace. I wanted them. But I also wanted the others. What am I going to do.

...

(Alec pov)

I was looking in every isle, to see if there was something else I could by for the sleepover at Leon's. I already had crisps of all kinds, chocolate chip cookies, hot chocolate, whipped cream, crackers, marshmallows, and chocolate sauce, but I needed more. And then I saw it from the corner of my eye.

The sprinkle isle. 

I looked at the options, it looked like they were freshly stocked, as the boxes were all full, except they had one pack of sprinkles missing from each section. I made a random grab at the closest one towards me and they turned out to be these yellow ball thingys. They reminded me of Aurelia. She always wore a beautiful pearl necklace, made out of gold. It matched with her warm, chocolatey, doe eyes - which I loved to comment on. 

...

Speaking of the devil, she was behind me, queuing at the same check out. And observed that she in fact was the person who took lots of sprinkles. What was she going to do with that many anyways? I needed to start a conversation, and that was a good starter.

"Are you gonna eat all those? Im pretty sure they're unhealthy."

She froze, then faced me slowly. Plastering a tight smile on her face, she curtly replies "no, I'm not." 

Despite myself, the smile fell from my face. "Oh, ok." I gave a grin - at least I tried to. It probably looked more like a pained grimace. I was usually a master at hiding my feelings, but when it comes to Aurelia, I'm like an open book. There've been many instances where I've defended her from bullying, right in front of her eyes, but she was too oblivious too see it. 

I was an open book towards Aurelia, but she was blind.

I was seemingly distracted with my internal thoughts, and seemingly zoned out, since a small hand was waving in front of my face. 

...

Chapter 9 finished! 

I hope you enjoyed this chapter, please vote, comment and follow if you did!

Have a good day/night!

Qotd: Who's your celebrity crush?

- sky