Chapter 10

(Aurelia pov)

He was in front of me. I first tried to go unnoticed, by looking the other way, and putting my canary-coloured hood up. But despite all my efforts to avoid any type of human interaction - he spoke. 

"Are you gonna eat all those? Im pretty sure they're unhealthy."

Well no shit Sherlock.

Is what I wanted to say, but then it would mean carrying on the dreaded conversation for even longer - something I did not want to do. So instead I gave a quite obviously fake smile and replied shortly with, "No, I'm not."

As soon as the words fell from my mouth, his smile faded away promptly. "Oh, ok." He smiled again, but his eyes had a small glint of sadness in them, taking place of the happiness before. 

I felt bad. He was trying to start a conversation, and he hadn't been rude once. Maybe he really was sorry. It was too late to spark a new topic to talk about, since he needed to pay for his stuff now. He had a weird array of stuff, like crackers, crisps, cookies and I noticed he had also bought the same sprinkles as I had. And a Ryan Toy Review play set? I wasn't going to question his weird shopping haul - because I'm not sure if I even wanted to find out.

He hadn't payed yet, instead he was staring at a nearby pile of shopping baskets. He had zoned out. I called his name once, twice, and even thrice but he still didn't zone back in. I slapped his face a couple of times, but he only got out of his imaginary world when I waved my hand in front of his face. He wakes up from a wave but not from a slap? "You're next." I said briefly. So much for making conversation. He fumbled for his wallet and payed for his unusual variety of items, and then I did too. His sleek, black car wasn't in the parking lot, so I assumed he had went home already. Putting all the stuff in the back seats, I too started the ride back home. Expecting to see his familiar car parked in his driveway - it wasn't. That's weird. It was 8:49pm, so pretty late to be out. 

Not thinking much of it, I entered my beloved home. The house theme was neutral, with a greyish-beige couch and matching coloured throws, lazily chucked on the couch. The wooden floor was partially hidden by a fluffy off-white rug. I loved it. Jamie and Ella were occupying two seats, watching Lilo and Stitch for the hundredth time today. 

"Guess what Jamie?" I smiled at him, but the grin faltered once I saw his tear stained cheeks. I knew I made the right choice - he really was upset. I pulled the tin of hot coco out from behind my back. "We're having hot chocolate!" And just like that, the glum face turned into a gleeful grin and both children started cheering and running around - forgetting about the movie which was playing in the background. I couldn't help but laugh. They were so naïve, they're biggest sadness was about hot chocolate. Mrs Grasscox came from the kitchen to see what the fuss was about.

 "Mami! Aurey brought coco!" Ella squealed, she shared Jamie's love for hot coco. She called me Aurey, since she couldn't pronounce 'Aurelia' properly yet. My full name was Aureliana Belle Randeres. I usually go by Aurelia, butI had many nicknames. Aurey from Ella and Jamie, Lia from my school friends, and Ana from Mrs Grasscox. I was open to any nickname, except one. 'Liana' is what my parents used to call me, and it may sound weird, but I wanted it to be their name for me. It's saved for the people I'm closest too, meaning that Jamie and Ella can call me that once they can say it correctly. 

Many occasions I've told Mrs Grasscox that she can call me Liana, but she chooses not too, saying that it's your parents nickname for me and that she respect that. But I don't think Mrs Grasscox knows how much I value her. I see her as my mum. She may not be my biological mother, but she had shown me love equal to mothers love. And I love her for that.