Chapter Two

Fucked.

That word ran through Milo Halifax's mind. His life seemed to frequent those waters regularly. His job is fucked, his life is fucked, and this crime scene, thoroughly fucked. Giving a look over the area, he scratched at his graying beard and sighed, reaching in his pocket for a menthol.

He didn't know why the detectives still want him around. He answered all their questions to the best of his ability. He did his usual 8 am rounds. Checking the local fishing areas for permits, handing out a few citations, and patrolling the usual campsites. One campsite stood out from the rest, site 180.

Stood out was putting it lightly. It had been destroyed. The gray RV that was parked there for the last two days was toppled over on its side. The windows that adorn it were shattered with the jagged pieces coated in dried blood. Bloody hand prints were smeared on the RV side that was upright. What seemed like claw marks appeared on various areas of the RV. The firepit also got worked over, seeing the boulders that outlined the pit scattered around the camp.

Dumbfounded by the intensity, Milo took a long drag from his cig. He rolled his tongue around to taste the smoke. While the park has had some incidences during his time, this one was unprecedented.

"Ranger...Halifax? Correct?"

Averting his gaze, he sized up the short, pudgy-looking individual. The man removed his bloodied gloves and adjusted his frames. His blue shoe covers were now a muddied red. Extending his hand, Milo shook it.

"I'm Detective Scott McDermott, you spoke with my partner, Detective Elaina Tabares earlier. Can you walk me through what you witnessed?" McDermott pulled a small notepad from his pocket. Clicking his pen, waiting eagerly for Milo to speak.

Milo got the sense he gets a thrill from solving mysteries like these, but what does he know? Taking another drag, he began recalling the events.

"Did my rounds around the park and got here about 10 am. Before I got close enough, I saw some blood out that way on some trees, at the entrance of the camp site. I went out to inspect it and that's when I smelled it."

"Smelled what?"

"Copper. You could taste it in the air. Figured maybe a coyote wandered through the camp with a kill and freaked out the campers. When I walked towards the camping area I saw this." Milo motioned towards the scene. His cig wasn't finished and he was already itching for another.

McDermott scribbled something down quickly. "Did you receive any calls from anyone throughout the night, radio chatter? Anything?"

"Only one, it was from some campers located by McKenzie Lagoon. They said they heard noise. I went to inspect it. Saw nothing. They're heading out this morning, fine."

"Are there known animal attacks out here? Could this be a coyote?"

Milo scoffed, causing McDermott to squint.

"You think a coyote did that?" Once again, he motioned towards the RV.

"I have to keep an open mind, you understand Mr. Halifax."

"Understandable, but...coyote?" Milo didn't bother hiding his facial expression.

McDermott glowered and puffed his cheeks out. "Okay, bear maybe?"

"Ah, it's possible, if it was a pack of 6 or so. You don't suspect a person might have done this?"

"Currently we have no inclination that another person was involved. The bodies will be examined once we gather them. We located tuffs of gray fur and some unusual claw marks. Are you positive there hasn't been anything unusual happening in the past weeks?"