Chapter Twelve

Elaina aggressively ran a hand through her hair, loosening her ponytail in the process. Slamming the phone back on the hook she leaned back in her chair.  Opting to track McDermotts' movements across the closet-sized office they shared.

"We're off the case Tabares. This is going back local." McDermott plopped down into his worn red chair. Giving his partner a sympathetic smile before taking a sip of his  luke-warm instant coffee.

"We still don't have the person or the animal!"

"They, they still don't have the animal. Although, a group of men called. Said they got a bear and some cubs not too long ago. Going to autopsy them by the end of the week. What's this about person? You think foul play is involved?"

Elaina's mouth would have caught flies the way it hung open, processing what he said. "Some of those victims were decapitated! This group alone brings the total to nine! You don't think something strange is going on?"

"The evidence consistently points to an animal. Fur was found on each body. The wounds reflect trauma caused by mauling. Other injuries are perceived to be defensive wounds."

McDermott chuckled at his friend while she glared at him. Having been partners for four years on he knows what gets her riled up.

"Perceived? What fucking intern do they have at the morgue?" Elaina grumbled a few more choice words. It didn't make sense. Soon her cellphone began dancing across the desk. Not bothering to check the ID, she growled out an agitated hello.

"Finally you answered."

A groan escaped her at the sound of Milo's voice, she had successfully avoided him till now. Even mulled over the idea that she was being to harsh, Elaina had quickly expelled that thought last night. His behavior was simply uncalled for. Especially with a victim.

"What do you want!"

"Listen Elaina, I'm sorry for how I acted at the hospital. I'm not going to make excuses for it. I was-"

"Are Halifax, are-"

"I was and are still an asshole. You didn't deserve my treatment after all the help you've been. I'm truly sorry and regret how it ended. I know this apology sounds shit but I mean it."

Elaina sighed, sagging her shoulders, she leaned back in her chair.

"...Thank you, Halifax."

"I know it's asking too much but is there a way you can get me to see Ms. Schaffer again? I need to apologize to her as well."

"Ah, you're too late on that. She checked out earlier this morning. Should be on her way home by now. I, uhh, have an inkling she's not going to want to speak with us." Elaina looked over to McDermott who was giving her the side eye.

"Checked out? She could barely move last I saw."

"Yea well, call it a miracle." Elaina heard Milo shuffling about on the other end. Soon muffled voices could be heard in the background.

"Elaina I'm going to have to call you back. What's a good time?"

"Anytime Halifax."

"Good, I'm glad to hear that."

With that Milo ended the call. Elaina was unaware of the smile that took a hold her face.

"Business?" McDermott sang, quirking a brow at his partner. A mischievous glint showing in his eyes. He watched her cheeks turn redder than Tulare Cherries.

"It's just business Scott."

McDermott let out a boisterous laugh, focusing back on his computer.

"Yes, just business."