Chapter Twenty One

"Here. Its all I have that doesn't smell too bad. I'm sure you can make it work."

"Thanks."

"Not one to thank. If I'd done my job, this wouldn't be happening. Your friends would still be here. Again, I'm very sorry for not taking you seriously."

Inhaling sharply at Milo's words, Khalia took the clothing from his outstretched hand.

"Don't fret over it. You aren't the first and you surely won't be the last. I appreciate your apology, Ranger."

Slipping the black shirt over her head the scent of cigarette smoke and charred wood encased her. The shorts, faded Khakis, had worn and broken belt loops, giving hint to their frequent use. Putting them on she secured them with a few safety pins she found in her bedroom.

Milo stared at the wall, thrumming his fingers against the barrel of the shotgun. A part of him was dismayed that it wasn't Theo who walked through the door earlier. It would have made the four hours wait worthwhile.

When she locked eyes with him over the barrel his heart seized. Like a ghost, he assumed her dead. Figuring that demon already gotten her with the state of her home. Relief then shown on their faces at the recognition of each other. For now, they knew they were in safe company.

"You look horrible. It's giving ran through junkie on a binger. Extasy or LSD?"

Stepping out of the kitchen, Khalia chugged water from a chipped coffee mug. 'STFU, Its Early' displayed boldly in white on the side, was splattered with bits of dried blood.

"Tch, I deserve that."

A faint smile spread, and Milo plopped down on the cushion less loveseat, wincing at the uncomfortable springs. Attempting to locate them earlier, the polyfill fibers scattered around gave him a clue that his search was useless. Placing the shotgun across his lap he rubbed his swollen eyes.

The vision in his right eye blurred substantially after his puke fest pit stop. The bags under them, seemingly tattooed to his skin, exposed his recent nightmares. Anytime rest would come, his mind was flooded with unbearable screams. Even worse, they sounded identical to Elaina.

"Where are you?"

The words he mumbled quietly to himself that even Khalia couldn't hear.

She watched him intently from afar. Having informed him what she knows of this new world, he took the news surprisingly well this time round. Parasita pointed out in the midst his unusual smell.

"He smells like us. It's strange. Almost like he's masking."

As much as they wanted to ask him about it, a shower was more tempting. Unfortunately, she had to clean a path to the bathroom but it was worth it none the less.

"Gotta plan?"

Milo's voice, gravelly in cadence, rattled Khalia out her thoughts. Heading back in the kitchen she filled the mug once more, handing it to the raggedy man, before plopping down next to him. Looking around she huffed. Home insurance wasn't going to be to happy with her claim. Hell, would they even believe her?

"Yea, you save the others while I kick his ass. Then when you come back, aim and shoot. I inflict the fatal wound and boom it's a happy ending for everyone."

A giddiness welled inside her at the thought of caving Theo's face in. Parasita yipped happily within her mind with agreement. In the mountains, Khalia watched her cry out. Watched her howl, shred trees, climb peaks, all to quiet the anguish in her soul. Afterwards, she relinquished control leaving Khalia to navigate the streets unseen.