Chapter Four

As the morning sun kissed the trees Milo headed in the ranger station. It was an aging two story cabin that had seen better days. No porch, just a raised small platform accompanied by 3 rickety steps. White paint flaked off the exterior, coating the ground closest to the house. Even the signage was worn as the word "Ranger" had faded with age.

Inside was modestly better. Chairs lined one side of the wall, along with souvenir racks. On the other side was their desks and a few scattered personal belongings. Random photos of the park's scenery also lined the walls, giving it a homey feel. The upstairs housed the living quarters. A bedroom, a kitchen area, and bathroom.

Milo had thought many times of staying here but can't stomach sharing a room with Dan. Cleanliness was not his forte and Milo couldn't remember how many times he told him bathing was free. Reaching his desk, he flopped down in his chair.

Yesterday he warned the visitors and campers of the bear attacks. Some had complied, returning to their camps or left the park entirely. Others challenged him, opting to stay and continue on normally. All Milo could do was try to reason with them.

"Now, what's on the agenda today." Looking at the papers scattered along his desk, his eyes caught on a post-it note.

'Remember to patrol the coast'

"Right, right. Might as well go now." He mumbled to himself.

Life jackets hung near their desks. Taking one he grabbed a spare radio battery and headed out the door. Upon opening he was surprised to see Elaina, McDermott's partner, hand in the air about to knock. Startled she jumped back, letting out an, "Oh!"

Milo watched as her caramel cheeks took on a rosy hue. She was dressed casual today unlike the last time he'd seen her. A black T-shirt clung to her frame and simple blue jeans completed her look. Her badge hooked on to her belt, along with her handcuffs and Glock. Her brown hair was pulled back into a low bun.

"Ranger Halifax? I'm Elaina Tabares. You spoke to my partner, Scott McDermott, yesterday." Extending her hand he shook it.

"Yea, how can I help you today?"

"I came to see how your night went. Anything unusual?"

She pulled a pad and pencil from her back pocket. Waiting for him to speak, she ignored his exasperated expression. He did not have time for this. Reaching in his pocket he pulled out his Menthols. Lighting one it was now his turn to ignore her frown.

"Well, I didn't stay last night. Also I told your partner everything already. It was a bear attack. Case closed."

"How do you know it was a bear? Were you there on that night?" She placed her hands on her hips and arched a brow.

Milo shook his head and walked past her, bumping into her elbow accidentally.

"Sorry ma'am. I don't like being accused of what you're implying, I have to start my day. As far as I'm concerned a family of bears ransacked that camp."

"Even you don't believe that. I can see it on your face."

Milo took a long drag from his cigarette. He stood by his driver door and glance back to look at her. She stood still on the platform, Arms now folded across her chest.

"Even if I don't, it has nothing to do with me. Again, the case is closed."

Fishing his keys from his pocket he didn't notice her walk over to the passenger side of his truck.

"Isn't your job to protect and conserve the environment, its animal, and people?" Elaina pulled at his door handle, locked.

"Yes, but when people do dumb things to anger bears, that calls for common sense not a park ranger." Milo watched her try his door handle again. Locked. Sighing he put his cig out on his front tire.