Chapter Eighteen

"Yeah, keep your arms up! I'm going to pick up the pace, don't forget, you can call a break!"

Caleesi's encouragement was drowned out by the loud pulsation in Khalia's ears. Ducking from a kick, her chest heaved, Lungs crackling with each deep inhale. Making a T with her hands, she panted. Tilting her head she surveyed the cloudless azure sky, mesmerized by the crisp cookie cutter landscape.

"No problem!"

Caleesi huffed. Taking her hand, she wiped the thin layer of sweat from her face. Plopping down on the grass she grabbed a water bottle from the mini cooler she brought. Khalia walked over, collapsing next to her. Laying back she closed her eyes.

The sun beat down on the pair, adding to the exhaustive state they rest in. After Yvette's disturbing appearance yesterday, Diem had been adamant about learning self-defense. At least a few things to get her by.

Caleesi jumped at the opportunity when she heard, driving up to the cabin and dragging the anxious woman into her car.

She took her to a rarely used training field on Cruel-Mane land. The grass was slightly over grown, a black gravel track created the outline to the field. Various obstacles were placed but they soon found some to advanced for Khalia. Opting for hand to hand defense instead. Two grueling hours of it.

"So, what's it like? Finding out you gotta kill your Fated to become human again? I bet Parasita is devastated! I know I'd be devastated! That's the end of her life too. Tragic. Some of us literally live our entire lives waiting to meet our other half."

Caleesi chugged a water then arched her brow at the thoughtful expression that covered Khalia's face. Quickly she replaced it with a solemn one.

"Have you met yours?"

"Me?"

"Who else Calee?"

A smile graced the younger girl's face from her recently acquired nickname.

"No. When I do, you can bet your ass that it'll be love at first sight! None of that woe is my love life."

"Really? No matter what? Even if he kills those closest to you. Your love would remain?"

"No. Matter. What."

Khalia rolled her eyes, but chuckled, nonetheless.

"Imma let that slide cause you're young and ya brain isn't all there yet."

Khalia twirled her finger next to her temple, causing the other to scoff.

"Pft. I'm just saying, this girl in my class, Rona, met her Fated at a school game. Next day she shows up with tattoos saying, I'm his forever, F4L, Devin's Property."

"You think that's hot? Is that what's in nowadays? That a kink. Sounds kinky."

The two cackled, like witches over a good brew, unintentionally muffling the coming footsteps.

"Caleesi! Is this the training I taught you?"

Both women jolted and scrambled to their feet. Diem squinted at them, two permanent markers in his hands. Caleesi groaned and put her hands on her hips.

"We were! It's called a break."

"You think someone's going to take a break when they're slitting your throat?"

"If they have low stamina, yes."

It rolled so nonchalantly off the younger one's tongue Khalia erupted in a fit of laughter. Jerking his head, he sighed. Caleesi nodded and sauntered off to the side. Plopping back into the grass, she dug her phone out her pocket, getting lost in the digital screen.