Chapter Three

"Way to go Trin, death by park ranger." Jay threw an elbow a playful elbow at her shoulder.

She rubbed her temples before groaning, "I feel so bad."

Joey put his arm around Alexa's shoulders. "Let's not worry about that. Did this man just say bear attack?"

Suddenly, concerning looks swept throughout the group as they all played back the rangers' words. The once stunning trees now held an unattractive forbodence about them. Jay, noticing the change in demeanor, took reins over the situation.

"Let's head back to camp. Khalia, you come up front with me. Joey, Marcus, you two take rear and walk behind the ladies."

Nodding in accordance, everyone took their positions. Having completed three of the five miles on the trail, begrudgingly, they began heading back the way they came. Jay and Khalia walked briskly, forcing Trinity and the others to keep up.

You could hear a pin drop on the forest floor as the group traversed onward. Eyes scanning every tree, rock, and bush around the trail. On high alert for any signs of bears. Tension weighed down thickly, causing some in the posse to start sweating more profusely.

Alexa grabbed the hem of her tank top and dabbed at the beads of sweat rolling in her eyes. Afterwards, she frantically ran her eyes over the area, not wanting to miss anything. Khalia looked back at the others, then at Jay. She leaned towards him, "Should we end the trip? I know you had the surprise planned for tomorrow but- "

"Nah, we'll be alright. I leave for base in two weeks. This means a lot to me, for real. I'm sure the ranger will have it straightened out later tonight."

"If he doesn't? We gotta' suck it the fuck up and get mauled by bears?" Khalia huffed. Enthused she was by the prospect of her brother's proposal to his longtime girlfriend. Dying over it was never a factor discussed.

"You really believe me, Senior Airmen Schaffer, would let my baby sister get mauled by bears?"

"Yes, absolutely."

Jay stared, astonished by his sister's blatant nonbelief in him. He chuckled at that thought, drawing looks from those behind. They began to slowly unwind after hearing his laughter. Growing more and more relaxed as time went by and camp drew near.

"So, what's the next step for everybody? Didn't you say you were moving Marcus?" Alexa turned back to look at her cousin who was busy surveying behind them. He gave a wary grin and nodded.

"Yea, love New York, the price though. Figured I'd move back to Colorado or a nice cheap Midwestern town."

"Colorado isn't exactly cheap itself my guy." Joey quipped.

"Ah I know, maybe Khalia will let me be her roommate." Khalia didn't have to turn around to hear the teasing in his tone. A small smile formed on her lips.

"Diesel does a fantastic job as a roommate." Khalia pondered over her six-year-old rottweiler and wondered what he was currently up to. More than likely causing hell for the doggy daycare employees. Marcus smiled in her direction. He then watched as Jay mumble something only Khalia could hear. Whatever it was, it caused her to scowl.

Time passed and soon they reached the final stretch to the clearing. Smoke filled their nostrils as they inched closer. Khalia got a surprised look on her face. Racking her brain for where her lighter was and hoping she wasn't the cause of the smoke.

"Oh! Our camping neighbors must be outside now!" Trinity gleamed and picked up her pace, happy that the more people around the less chance of a bear attack. The others followed suit not wanting to be left behind.