008

"Originally discovered nearly 5 centuries ago, it hasn't been over Mystic Falls in over 145 years. Now, the comet will be its brightest right after dusk during tomorrow's celebration." Mr Tanner was droning on as Elena walked quietly into her history class.

She slipped into her seat, smiling slightly as Stefan caught her eye. 

"Are we bothering you, Ms. Gilbert? Mr. Salvatore?" Mr Tanner grumbled, eyeing the pair with a look of distain before turning to face Elena solely. "You're late, Miss Gilbert. I do hope you're not taking a leaf out of Mr Gilbert's book." 

"Her sister is in the hospital." Stefan defended, annoyance clear on his face and in his tone. 

Mr Tanner ignored them, but Elena shot Stefan a thankful smile.

⋅.˳˳.⋅ॱ˙˙ॱ⋅.˳˳.⋅ॱ˙˙ॱᐧ.˳˳.⋅

"I told you I'd find it." Stefan smiled as he approached the Elena in the hallway. 

"Wuthering Heights by Ellis Bell. You know, I can't believe she didn't use her real name."

"All the Bronte sisters used pseudonyms It was the time. Female writers weren't very accepted then." He explained.

"Where did you get it?" Elena asked curiously. 

"Uh, it was passed down... Through the family."

"Ah," Elena said, observing the cover of the book.

"I have lots of books. Go ahead. Keep it." Stefan offered.

Elena was quick to decline, "Oh, no. I... But I would like to read it again. I promise I'll give it back. Would you mind if I lent it to Lois after? I know she'd appreciate it a lot."

Stefan smiled "Of course. How is she, by the way?"

Elena shrugged sadly, "I haven't really heard anything, but she's alive which is what I'm grateful for. You know, I don't think you've even met her, have you?"

Stefan paused. He'd seen her when her body was pulled out of the woods after she'd been attacked by Damon. He'd also seen her when went back into the water the night of the accident and pulled her from the car. He'd seen her be taken away in an ambulance with Elena after he'd tried to resuscitate her. He'd seen her at her home after she'd be discharged, battling with inner demons no-one seemed to acknowledge as true.