000

• Dédié à All My Fans<3

it comes and goes in waves

and carries us away

000 - the beginning of the end

"I'm terrible at Pictionary!" Aunt Jenna complained, huffing dramatically.

"Don't worry Aunt Jenna," Lois Gilbert grinned. "So is Jeremy!" She laughed, proud of her jab, shoving her twin in the shoulder. Jenna shot her a dirty look but was interrupted when the phone began ringing obnoxiously.

The twins turned in sync at the sound and Jenna shuddered, "I hate it when you two do that-"

"Do what?" They chimed innocently.

Jenna rolled her eyes before picking up the phone.

"Hey, it's me." The eldest Gilbert sibling, Elena, could be heard on the other end.

"Your family is making me play Pictionary. I suck at Pictionary." Jenna whined immediately.

Grayson Gilbert cut her off , "You do. You're terrible."

"Bite me, Grayson."

"Listen," Elena interrupted. "Do you think someone could come pick me up?"

"Oh, having second thoughts about ditching family night?" Jenna teased as Miranda Gilbert approached her.

"Here," she said , motioning for Jenna to pass her the phone. "Elena, everything okay?"

Elena sighed on the other end of the phone, "Matt and I got into a fight. He was talking about college and marriage and all the stuff that he always talks about and I just, I couldn't."

"He doesn't really care about that yet, honey, he's just trying to figure out how you feel about him right now." Her mother replied kindly.

"I don't know how I feel." Elena sighed again.

"Yes, you do. You're just afraid to say it."

"Yeah, but I don't want to lose him."

"You're not gonna lose him, honey. You're setting him free."

Before Elena had a chance to respond, Miranda hung up the phone and turned to her other children.

"Anyone coming?" she asked as Grayson grabbed the car keys.

"Sure," Lois replied, she was losing the game but didn't want to admit it. Picking Elena up was a free-pass from Jeremy rubbing it in her face.

"I think I'm gonna stay here with Aunt Jenna." Jeremy said, smirking slightly at his twin when he realised why she was leaving.

Lois waved goodbye to them both and followed her parents out of the door.

~~~

As the car pulled up at the bonfire party, Elena could be seen talking to a stranger. Lois tried to make out his face but she didn't recognise him. The man moved closer to Elena and they appeared to exchange words, but were interrupted when her dad pressed the car's horn obnoxiously. Lois jumped at the unexpected sound and watched as the man appeared to move even closer to Elena before he left.

"Who was that?" She asked Elena as she got into the car, slightly dazed.

"Who?" Elena mumbled, appearing confused.

Lois quirked a brow at her sister, "Never mind."

~~~

The car ride back was filled with mindless chatter as Lois rested her head against the window tiredly. The gentle thrum of the car's engine had lulled her into a drowsy state. Her eyes were drifting closed when she felt the car swerve violently, causing her head to smash against the window. The blow to her head knocked her temporarily unconscious.

~~~

A few minutes later, Lois' eyes fluttered open and she tenderly lifted her hands to nurse her head. She blinked repeatedly as she tried to focus on the commotion occurring in front of her. Her ears rang as she tried to make out what her father was saying, but was soon distracted by the car submerging further into the water.

Lois cried out as her breaths became agonisingly painful and short. She struggled to keep her head above the rising water but soon ice-cold water flooded into her mouth, choking her. Her throat and lungs burnt as her air supply ran out. She faintly recalled her mouth instinctively opening for air before the world around her faded into nothing.

 She faintly recalled her mouth instinctively opening for air before the world around her faded into nothing

___

A/N: rewritten on 6 March 2021 :) Wasn't sure if I wanted to share the start of Lois' story this way but it feels right, after all, it is what Lois feels is 'the beginning of the end'. If you could leave a vote or even a comment letting me know what you think that would be greatly appreciated! 16/06/2021 update - Jess' name is now Lois! Apologies for any confusion.