007

For one selfish moment, Elena Gilbert felt good. It had been so long since she'd felt anything like it, she just wanted to grab onto the feeling and never let go. She knew Stefan had something to do with that and part of her hated herself for being that girl... but after so long, she was desperate to feel happy again. 

The feeling didn't last long. 

Elena caught Jenna dragging her fingers through her hair and it felt like the entire world collapsed on her. She blinked hard as tears pooled in her eyes and her chest felt as if someone had dropped a weight on it. 

Lois had been attacked last night. They found her in the woods with Vicki Donovan, covered in blood. She'd been making this horrible gurgling sound as blood pooled in her mouth, her throat nearly torn out. The memory along was enough to make bile rise in Elena's throat. 

She remembered seeing Lois' eyes darting around, she looked so small, so scared, but when she saw Elena and Jeremy she relaxed. Elena hoped that they made her feel safe in that moment, protected. 

They'd got her to the hospital just in time, but Jeremy had to donate some blood for a transfusion. Jenna had given her consent to allow the hospital to sedate her, but Elena wasn't sure whether it was for the pain or for Lois' own good. She knew Lois hated hospitals, hell, the whole Gilbert family did. It's where their whole lives changed forever. 

Elena hated herself in that moment. How could she be so selfish? Her baby sister was in hospital and here she was allowing herself to be happy? To feel grateful that someone like Stefan was in her life? 

As if noticing Elena's self hatred, Jenna cut in gently, "She's okay, Elena."

Elena blinked hard again, quickly swiping her slender fingers under her eyes to remove any stray tears.

"Sorry," Elena apologised. "I don't know what's gotten into me."

Jenna's eyes softened, "You've had a shock, okay? We all have... But I was with her all night and they're hoping she's going to make a good recovery."

Elena nodded slowly, her eyes drifting over her aunt's face. Jenna looked tired, that much was obvious. Guilt rolled around in Elena's stomach, she was the oldest, she was meant to look after her siblings. 

"Do they-" Elena's voice cracked, and she cleared her throat. "Sorry. Do they know why she was in the woods? She was meant to be home, right?"

"I- no," Jenna sighed, looking so very young in that moment. "They don't know, she's not talking right now... I don't even know if she can talk, I mean the injury was--"

Jenna shuddered, cutting herself off, "I really screwed up, Elena. Sheriff Forbes is going to want to talk to me about all this and I just, I don't know what to say."

"You're not screwing up, Aunt Jenna," Elena soothed. "This isn't your fault, okay?"

"It's not yours either, Elena." Jenna replied knowingly. Elena looked away from her aunt's knowing gaze.