Welcoming Sanity Back!

"All this time it was you, Kelly Anderson! The heir to Reptiswolder Global Properties!" His venomous words made me spellbound and speechless. All this while...it had been me?! Pondering on it, it made a lot of sense. The way grandpa was close to me and how he used to always tell me that he loved me to the sky and back. He used to spend most of his time with me; teaching me values and morality. Also, the fact that he handed me the most important treasure of his life was the basic evidence. Slowly, the poem which he always used to recite to me as a lullaby kept playing in my head...

The pages are blank my dear, oh yes, they're,

But if you look closer your eyes will glint like a star.

For what you would see is nothing on the page,

But if you would look closer, you would see the words in the cage.

And it's you who need to put two and two,

For baby, it's meant to be true, all for you...

I gasped at the hints. It was an open giveaway! Just then, someone slapped me hard and knocked me off of my senses that I stumbled to the ground. "NO!!" I heard somebody yelp in pure agony, but I didn't have the time or even the energy to react. And as I was falling down, I heard a hundred different sounds altogether. Slowly, with my mind whizzing and the light fading, I gently closed my eyes and tuned myself out of everything.

"Beep. Beep." I heard the constant beeping right next to me before I could even squint to catch a glimpse. Something pricked me and I swore and shut my eyes tight again. "Kelly? Sweetie, you awake?" A familiar voice whispered, but I couldn't understand who the voice belonged to. I groaned and my eyes adjusted to the sickeningly bright light which at first almost blinded me. Gently turning my head towards the right, I saw the machine that was constantly beeping as more glucose was seeped into my skin. Great! I was in the hospital, most probably where Mrs. Smith worked and fortunately was feeling a lot better. I tried sitting up and managed to do so.

Looking at my visitor, I realised it was auntie Stace. She looked pale and tired. I gave her a small smile and she tenderly stroked my cheek. "For how long have I been here?" I asked, my voice sounding husky. I cleared my throat. "You've been here for a week, dear. How are you feeling?" She questioned, looking at me thoroughly. "I guess I'm doing better. My body feels better." She let out a whimper at this. I watched her lovingly. How much of stress I must've put them to! "How's everybody?" I asked. She grimaced. "They're doing fine. Your mother was in the hospital for two days and so was Skyler. Some minor injuries here and there. Monique was just examined. Otherwise, everybody's fine." She assured, holding my hand tight.

I saw a pile of Get Well Soon cards, bouquets, baskets of flowers and fruits, chocolates and photo frames laid out for me. Smiling, I glanced at Stacy who had her head held low. There was still one question left unanswered. "Auntie? There's something I wanted to ask you." I told her. She watched me expectantly. "Remember on one Christmas Eve you told me that you didn't want Skyler to ever date me? Why was that?" She heaved a long sigh. "I knew you wouldn't have forgotten it. I mean...how could you? I had hurt you. But sweetheart, I really meant it for your welfare. Let me tell you something. From the very beginning, I had known that Fred had given you the diary. I never knew what was in it, of course, but I knew it meant a lot to him. I didn't want you to get very cosy with Skyler because...I wanted your diary-secret to remain a secret. The conspiracy was very high within the family and even we didn't know about the will. So we let Daniel take over. But the closer you got to someone who was as close to Fred, the more danger you would be in. That was all that mattered to me. To keep you safe."