Spacing Out

"My...WHAT?? Bloody hell!" Was the only response he back-fired. I stared at the two of them, my brain completely blank as all the current happenings went bouncers. My breathing was heavy. You could clearly understand that I had never come across a shock worse than this! Silence. You could possibly even hear the drop of a pin if one fell right at this moment. Colin slumped on the couch rubbing his forehead while Clifford never diverted his gaze off of me and leant against the window.

He was staring at me wide-eyed and was bewildered as hell! I could totally get that. I slid against the wall and fell hard on the floor. "Ouch!" I cried. My ass hurt! "Bad landing, Kelly!" I kept telling myself. "You okay?" Colin asked, sounding worried but was trying to hide back his lingering grin. I stuck out my tongue at him in annoyance.

"Kelly Anderson? I can't believe that you coincidentally finally stepped home!" Clifford started, cheering the shock-struck atmosphere. "Yeah...I can't believe it too!" I replied, feigning fake enthusiasm. "Jesus Christ! Look at you, Kelly! I mean, the last time we met your family was when Liz got married! It's been one heck of a long time. We haven't seen Grace yet. Umm...your sister's Grace, right?" He asked, unsurely.

"Yeah...right. Why haven't you dropped by after that? Forgot us?" I questioned him, confused. Even Colin looked at him awaiting an answer. "Forget about dropping by. Did you even know we existed Kelly? You know, my mum, dad, Charles and me? Did you have any idea that we're part of your family?" He interrogated with a glint of hurt in his eyes. I shook my head. I was totally unaware that my granddad had a sister called Brenda.

I was totally unaware that my mom was cousins with my professor and his brother. She used to talk to Charles every time in school to know how I was fairing and catching up. But, she never EVER uttered to me that he was family! Why? Why did I feel there was a huge gap between our families? Were they enemies or something? And most importantly, I totally was unaware about the 'uncles' factor. I was so flabbergasted! You know, probably President Barack Obama wouldn't be having to worry so much about the world issues the way I was worrying regarding my petty issues. (Petty issues as compared to the President's.)

He sighed. I turned my attention to the carpet. I didn't find it right to look him straight in the eye due to my conscience continuously telling me that our family might have been responsible for something related to this so-many-years-long-distant separation. "What's wrong with the Winstons and the Russos?" Colin questioned after some moments of silence. "What do you mean by 'what's wrong'?" Clifford retorted. Col shrugged as a reply. "You know what's wrong. I sensed something wrong here, so I asked." Colin stated.

"Oh! Look at the time!" Clifford exclaimed. Colin sprung up from his couch. It was a quarter to ten and here we were, still sitting and nagging uncle. "We need to go, Colin." I ushered while clutching his sleeve. "Wait a moment. Before you leave, I just want to inform you that the reason Elizabeth's family and mine aren't bonding is an issue too deep for any of you to interfere. So, I request you to stay away from this and let things remain like how it was before. We do not need further interrogations, do we?" He asked us, eyeing for any negations. We nodded our heads in agreement. I had to respect my parent's decision. There was a reason as to why we were kept away from the fact that the Russos were family and I was nobody to question them. I was just glad that I could internally count the Russos part of our family tree. They were really kind people and I enjoyed spending time with them today. After all, the main reason why we were here was due to Mr. Russo and I obtained what I wanted to receive. I gave myself an invisible victorious pat!

"Farewell then! Good bye Colin, Kelly! It was a pleasure meeting you all and thanks a lot!" Clifford waved at us. "Good bye!" We yelled and waved back. "Kelly! Come here, will you?" Clifford called back for me. I brisk walked towards the doorstep while Colin headed towards the car. Clifford gently caught hold of my hands and hugged me. I hugged him back. I heard him sobbing quietly. I felt bad for him as well. Talk about fate! "I'm so happy today that I finally got a chance to meet you!" He confessed. I smiled while still hugging him and whispered, "I'm glad to have met you too. I just want you to be happy and all jolly. Do not think fate is carved on your heads. Soon enough, you'll see the rainbow shine in times of utter darkness. Don't lose hope. We'll pray for you!" He ruffled my hair and tugged me gently.