::P r o l o g u e::

FIVE YEARS AGO

FIVE YEARS AGO...

ERIK NIGHTSTORM - KING OF THE STORM DRAGONS

A bright light flashed beneath my feet, and I was falling.

I flailed my arms widely, grabbing at the thin air around me. I wanted to stop the fall, but it was futile. I was tumbling feet first through frozen night sky.

Shit - what happened? I had been standing in my castle with my sword raised, ready to strike down my ancient enemy - but then she appeared.

At first, I thought she was courtesan or one the daughters of the officers. But when I breathed her in, and smelt forest and snow, I knew she was the fox.

The vision of her red hair, wicked smile, and brilliant blue eyes was instantly branded into my memory. My dragon had been enraptured. It prowled restlessly inside me, making my blood boil with need. For the first time ever, heat pooled in my belly as I imagined what it would be like to kiss her.

I should have been smarter and not let her beguile me - but I did.

I froze.

It only took a couple of seconds for her to whisper her spell - then *poof*:

> My army was gone.

> My castle was gone.

> My Kingdom was gone.

...and I was hurtling towards frozen ground of a land I'd never seen before.

The snowy fields and gentle frost-covered hills below were a far cry from the jagged mountains of my kingdom that had been ravaged by a centuries-long war.

Around me, I heard the surprised cries of my brothers and sisters-in-war. They were falling too.

White hot anger burned deep inside me. The fox had tricked us with her magic. She had sided with our enemy and hurled us into this foreign world. I should have struck her down when I had the chance. Instead, I hesitated, and now all was lost.

I started to curse the fox and myself, but something passed my side, falling fast to the ground. I turn my head and see waves of bright flaming red hair and a pair of bright blue eyes gazing helplessly at me.

A humourless smile crept across my face.

It was the fox.

She had stupidly fallen through her own portal!

Foxes had many sneaky talents, but flying was not one of them. I leaned into the wind and unfurled my wings. Although most dragons had lost the ability to shift into our complete dragon form, we could grow a pair of wings that allowed us to fly.